Chapter 2

"Extra! Extra! Trolley strike drags on!" Davey shouted as we went on our way. Jack and me led Davey and Les to a place where we usually sell. Boxing matches were usually held here so more people gathered.

Hardly anyone was buying any papes. I needed to eat! So, I decided to make the headlines a little more interesting. "Bodies found in alleyways! Suspected murderer on the loose! Read all about it! You heard it here! Here and here only!"

That got people buying!

"That's not right!" Davey scolded me.

I looked at him. "If I hate the headline, I'll make up a headline. I've got to eat somehow."

"I thought you and Jack shared what you earned."

"No, we just sell togetha'. For my safety, he says. Now let me get back to work, would ya?"

"Extra, extra! Trolley strike drags on!" Davey shouted.

"Extra, extra! Ellis Island in flames! Big conflagration!" Jack shouted, making Davey jump. I decided to jump on his wagon.

"Terrified flight from inferno!" I shouted.

"Where does it say that?" Davey asked, flipping through all of the papes he was holding.

"Page nine," Jack answered. "Extra! Extra!" Thankfully people really started buying then.

I was steadily selling papes. I was nearly out! All I had were two left! Right as I sold my last pape, Jack grabbed my hand and started running.

"Hey!! What're you doin'?!"

"It's the Bulls!"

Oh crap. I went running, hoping Davey and Les were behind us. Thankfully they were.

"All this for one sip of beer?" I heard Les say. What in the world did that mean?!

We kept running and running. We ran inside a building, trying to get up the stairs. "Sleeper! Jump!"

We made it to the roof and Jack jumped. He yelled out and I followed his lead. We had hidden here before in the past and Snyder had still yet to catch us. Davey and Les were looking for us and I signaled them. They came running and we all hid as Snyder came.

"Sullivan! Wait till I get you back to the Refuge! You and the girl won't make it far enough to where I won't find you!"

We crawled and then ran as we found our way back onto the streets.

"Wait! I'm not running anymore!" Davey said. Jack led us all to the door and I recognized where we were. I grinned.

We walked inside and Davey was asking questions nonstop.

"I want some answers," Davey said.

"Shut up," Jack said.

I don't think he's capable of shutting up, I thought.

"Who is he and why was he chasing you two, and what is this Refuge?" he asked.

"The Refuge is this jail for kids," I answered.

"The guy chasin' us is Snyder. He's the warden," Jack answered.

"You two were in jail?" Les asked, in awe.

I laughed, not mockingly though. "No, not both of us. Just Jackie here. It was two years after he took me in,"

"But you said that you were brother and sister. How did he take you in?" Les asked, looking at Jack.

"We are," he answered.

"Jack found me five years ago on the streets and took me in. So yeah. We's brotha' and sista'. Just not blood." I smiled at Jack.