Chapter 9

"Hey, Jo, wake up."

"Five more minutes, Kloppman," I rolled over.

"No, no," It wasn't Kloppman, it was Jack.

"Jack, I ain't gettin' up." He started poking my head. I jumped up.

"Jack, you dirty rotten-"

"Surprise!"

All the guys were standing in front of my bed, holding a small cake with a candle.

"Happy birthday, Jo!"

I started laughing. "Fellas. What- how- where did ya get that?" I pointed at the cake.

"Medda made it. She wanted to make it for this but she's gettin' ready for the rally tonight."

"Make a wish Jo." Mush said.

I closed my eyes. I didn't know what to wish for.

I wish for Spot to- No, I wish for us to win the strike.

I blew the flame out. The boys cheered. I looked at them all as they cheered. My fellas. I loved my fellas. My newsies.

"Mom, I don't know what to do," I paced back and forth. I was at the theatre early so I could talk to Medda in private. I needed her advice.

"About what, sweetie?" she asked.

"There's this guy, he's the leader of the Brooklyn newsies. Spot Conlon. Last night I was out on the roof of the lodgin' house with him and we talked for a good while. When I left, my heart was racin' and I couldn't stop smilin'. It's been like that since I saw him again. Since me, Jack and the otha's went to Brooklyn to try and get them on our side. Medda, what's happenin' to me?"

She started smiling. "Jo, you like him."

I wanted to deny it but I felt like I couldn't.

"And you not denying it confirms it." she smiled.

I looked at Medda. "I think youse right Mom. I think I do too. And that's what is gonna get me into some deep trouble."

I waited backstage as we neared time to go out and start the rally. I was as nervous as could be!

"Hey,"

I turned seein' Spot. "Hey."

"Nervous?"

"More than a sinna' in church." I laughed.

He did too. It made me smile, his laugh did. "We's got this, beauty."

I looked down. "Yeah. We do."

"Ya the only female newsie there is," Spot started. Behind him, Medda caught my eye.

She pointed at Spot, mouthing, "Is that him?"

I just widened my eyes. She smiled giving me a thumbs up, which I thought she would never do. I wanted to scream. If Spot saw her...

"... they'll listen to ya. I can tell ya can take charge." Spot finished.

I hadn't heard half of what he had said. "Thanks, Spot."

We walked out onto the stage, Jack and Davey behind us.

Jack got everyone calmed down. "Carryin' the banner!"

"Carryin' the banner!"

"So, we've come a long way, but we ain't there yet," Jack started. "Maybe it's only gonna get tougha' from now on. But that's fine, we'll just get tougha' with it,"

Everyone applauded.

"But also, also we gotta get smart and start listenin' to my pal, David. Who says, 'Stop soakin' the scabs'."

It got quiet.

"What are we supposed to do to their bums, kiss 'em?" fellas laughed.

"Any scab I see, I soak 'em. Period." Spot said and others voiced their agreements.

"No!" Davey yelled. "That's what they want us to do! If we get violent, it's playing into their hands!"

"They're gonna be playin' with my hands. This ain't what they say, it's what we say. Nobody ain't gonna listen to us unless we make 'em." Spot said. Many voiced their agreements once more.

Jack looked at me. He expected me to say something.

"You got no brains!" I yelled. "If we start fighting each otha' then we'll be the nobodies they think we are! Street trash, street rats, without no brains! With no respect for anythin', includin' ourselves!"

"Tell 'em, Jo!" Blink shouted.

"If we don't act togetha', stick togetha', and don't even trust each otha' we's nothin'!"

"Ya heard her! So what's it gonna be?" Jack concluded.

"We're with you two, Jack." Race said.

"So what do ya say, Spot?" Jack asked.

He was quiet for a second. "I say that what youse two says, is what I say." he smiled.

I smiled, as Spot and Jack spit shook. Everyone cheered. Music started playing. Medda was comin'. I laughed as I watched all the boys. They were ridiculous.

"High times, hard times. Sometimes the living is sweet,"

I hummed along with Medda, smiling. Davey, Jack, me and Spot all sat at a table.

"Root beer?" Spot asked.

"Why not." I laughed. I took it from him, taking a swig.

"And sometimes there's nothing to eat,"

I found myself looking at Spot, staring him in the eyes and he was doing the same. He gave me a slight smile and I returned it. It seemed like he was getting closer then I realized we were both leaning in. I stopped, realizing that if we had gotten any closer we would've kissed. If anyone saw that or found out that we had been talking...

"But, I always lands on my feet,"

I leaned back into my chair, trying to act as if that just didn't happen. I felt a hand brush mine under the table. I tried to hide my smile but I didn't think I was doing very well. I grabbed his hand and he squeezed mine.

"So when there's dry times, I wait for high times and then, I put on my best and I stick out my chest and I'm off to the races again!"

"Hello, newsies, what's new?" Medda asked and laughed once the boys cheered.

"So your old lady don't love you no more. So you're afraid there's a wolf at your door. So you got street rats that scream in your ear,"

"You win some, you lose some, my dear!"

"Oh, high times, hard times. Sometimes the living is sweet,"

"And sometimes there's nothing to eat,"

"But, I always lands on my feet,"

"So when there's dry times, I wait for high times and then, I put on my best and I stick out my chest and I'm off to the races again!"

"I put on my best,"

"I put on my best,"

"Oh, yes, and I stick out my chest!"

"And I stick out my chest!"

"And I'm off!"

"And I'm off!"

"And I'm off!"

"And I'm off!"

"And I'm off, to the races again!"

I laughed and cheered as Medda finished. Everything was going just right.

But then I so happened to look at the entrance. Snyder was there. "No," I whispered.

"What?" Spot whispered in my ear, concern filling his voice.

"Look at the entrance," He looked and he turned back to me wide-eyed.

"We gotta tell Jack," I said. Spot and me both got up, trying not to look suspicious. "Sarah," I called. She looked at me. "Grab Les and run. There's trouble. Run!"

She heeded my warning and did as I told her. That's when I found Davey and told him to warn Jack. By then, Snyder had already gotten past Denton, who had been trying to stall for us.

Then, the chaos had erupted. Spot took my arm. "Come on, I'm gettin' ya outta here." he started dragging me.

"No! I wanna help!" I resisted.

"Come on! You know Jack'll want me to get ya outta here!"

"No!"

"I won't let ya get hurt!" he looked at me in the eyes.

I rolled my eyes. "Fine. Let's get outta here,"

We tried getting out but it was too late. Newsies were gettin' snatched left and right. I saw Race get punched and I ran to him.

"No! Race!" I ran to where the man was dragging Race away.

"Jo! Get back here!" Spot yelled.

I punched the guy that held Race and kicked him where it would hurt. "Race! Are ya okay? Race, talk to me!" I touched his face trying to get him to focus. I felt rough hands grab my arms and pull me away. I started struggling 'cause I knew those hands weren't Spot's.

"Let me go!"

"Jo!!" I heard Spot.

"Spot!" He tried getting to me but he was fighting a guy off. When he punched Spot, I truly lost it.

"No!" I got free from whoever was holding me and ran to him. Thankfully he was still conscious.

"Take my hand!" I yelled. Right before his clasped mine, I was pulled away and got hit with something hard, turning everything dark.