Chapter 6

I didn't go with Jack and Davey as they tried to go rescue Crutchy. I sat in my bunk, nervously fidgeting. I hadn't even changed.

"Hey, Jo," Blink came and sat beside me.

"Hey, Blink," I said, my voice hollow.

He sighed. "Ya know, it ain't ya fault."

I shook my head. "It is. Ya all are my fellas. I shoulda made sure ya all was outta there."

"Ya know, Blink's right," Race came up. "It ain't ya fault."

I looked at him. "Didn't ya he-ah what I just said?" I sighed. "I'm sorry, Race. I shouldn't have snapped at ya. I just feel like it's my responsibility to look afta' all of ya. After how welcomin' youse been to me, I owes all of ya."

Race sat on my other side, putting his arm around my shoulders. "Ya can't protect everyone. We can keep up with ourselves. Ya need to worry about you, Jo."

I looked at Blink and he nodded. What could've been a smile started turning the corner of my lips upward. "I love youse guys."

"We love ya too, Jo." Blink said. They both hugged me.

"Now, take of yaself Jo. And turn in. We'll wake ya up when Jack gets back." Race said.

I took a deep breath and nodded. I got my nightclothes out and grabbed the washbasin, putting it in one of the stalls. I bathed up and washed my face. The cold water on my face felt wonderful, removing all the sweat and grime of the day.

By the time I was going to turn in, Jack was back. Crutchy wasn't with him.

I looked at him. "Jack?"

He sighed. "Oscar and Morris hurt him. He couldn't get out."

I started tearing up. Poor Crutchy.

If any more of my fellas weren't going to get hurt, we needed backup. We needed Brooklyn and as much as I hated saying it, we needed Spot. And I was gonna get them here.

I grabbed my clothes once I saw all of the fellas were asleep. I got ready and quietly left out. It took a while to get to Brooklyn even though I jogged most of the time. I finally came to the harbor. I didn't expect to see anyone, but Spot sat on one of the crates.

"What're you doin' here?" He turned around.

"As much as I hate to say this, but we need Brooklyn. Our first strike didn't go as planned. One of my friends, uh, Crutchy, uh..."

I took a shaky breath. "He got caught. He's a crip so it doesn't exactly help that he got soaked real good."

"I thought you and Jackie boy comin' just once woulda' been enough."

"I don't think so."

He looked down. "Youse a stubborn something ain't ya?"

"Yep," I said. "Please, come join us. I don't want any more of my fellas gettin' hurt. We need Brooklyn... and Spot Conlon."

He smirked. "How hard was it to say that?"

"Extremely."

"I was gonna make my decision in the mornin'. You came all this way to just try and fully convince me to come, at this time of night, knowing it's dangerous?"

"I don't want any more of my fellas gettin' hurt."

"Well, you may just have Brooklyn on your side come mornin' time." he smiled.

It felt like a burden was starting to lift from my shoulders. I walked toward him, spitting in my hand and sticking it out.

He did the same, shaking my hand. "Youse won't regret it. I swear," I said.

"I better not,"

"Well, uh, that was fast. I have to head back. Thank ya," I said. I started running off.

"Hey, wait!" he called.

I stopped.

"Let me escort ya back." He caught up with me.

I shook my head. "No, it's fine. Jack doesn't know I's here. I'd like to keep it that way. He wouldn't let me come by myself the first time."

He looked confused. "Why?"

"He didn't think it was safe," I rolled my eyes.

"Well, he's right. It ain't safe here."

"I can manage,"

He raised an eyebrow.

"I can and will. Thanks for offerin' but I's fine." I ran off before he could protest.

I made it back to the Lodging House at what had to be midnight. I changed and crawled into bed before I got caught.