Chapter 8

We all sat around downstairs of the lodging house, painting signs for the rally tomorrow night.

"Jo, not gonna lie, your writing looks awful," Race said.

"Oh, ha ha. At least I can change this. You can't do anythin' about that ugly face of yours." I smirked.

Blink started laughing. "Race, she got you good."

"Yeah, she did." he laughed. "I know she was just jokin' anyways. I know she loves my face,"

I rolled my eyes, smiling.

"Jo!" Specs harshly whispered. I looked up at him. He pointed at the man at the counter. I nearly gasped out loud. Snyder.

What was he doing here?!

Race and Blink covered me so I could hide. I crawled up the stairs behind Specs and Skittery. They hid me pretty well. But my heart still pounded hard. If Snyder found me, I was going straight to the Refuge. Then goodness knew what would happen. I waited for a few minutes hearing their conversation.

"Any of you boys heard of Jack Kelly and a girl that is always with him?" Kloppman asked.

My breathing nearly stopped.

"That's an unusual name for these parts," Specs said.

"I ain't seen no girl runnin' around," Skittery said.

"Oh, you mean Jack Kelly," Race said. "Yeah, he was here, but he put an egg in his shoe and beat it."

Everyone laughed. I had to keep myself from laughing.

"I have reason to believe that he is an escaped prisoner, possibly dangerous. The girl too."

"Oh. Are they dangerous?" Kloppman asked. "I better look in my files."

I dared to look between the spindles on the staircase. Jack was behind Snyder. I wanted to yell at him! Jack ran out of the door and the boys covered for him. While Snyder had his back turned to me, I crawled up the staircase as quickly and quietly as I could.

I had to find a way to stay hidden.

As I got into bed, I heard a knock on the window and jumped. Who was at the window at this time of night? I really shouldn't have even been awake. Today had worn me out and I really needed rest. I grabbed my cover and covered myself because I was in my nightclothes.

I opened the window and I was shocked.

"Heya, beauty," Spot said.

"What the heck are ya doin' he-ah?" I covered myself even more.

"Meet me outside,"

"Spot, I can't jus-"

"Just do it,"

I grunted. "I'll be out in seven. Wait here."

I grabbed a clean shirt, pants, and some suspenders. I hated wearing those things with a burnin' passion, but it was the only thing that would hold the pants up after I tied them around my waist. I put my cap on and shoved my hair in it since I didn't have time to pull it back. Plus, in case we came up on someone, it was going to save me some trouble. I pulled my shoes on next and went back to the window.

"Ready?" he asked me once I made it through the window as quietly as I could.

"Yeah. I guess. Alright Conlon, start talkin'. What are we doin'? Why are we out here at this time of night? I'm bein' looked for so it ain't safe for me out here. I don't even know where Jack is."

He just looked at me and started laughing.

"What?" I asked.

"I can't take ya serious when ya got that hat on. Take it off, wouldja?" he said.