Chapter 5

Everyone was gathered at the statue, waiting on us. We walked up and everyone greeted us.

"So uh, where's Spot, huh?" Race asked.

"He was concerned about us bein' serious. Can ya imagine that?" Jack asked.

"Well, ya know, Jack, maybe we ought to ease off a little, ya know?" Race said.

My eyes widened. "Ya can't be serious," I said.

"Without Spot and the others, there's not enough of us, Jack, ya know?" Blink said.

"Jack, maybe we're movin' too soon." Mush said. "Maybe we ain't ready."

"Think so?" I asked.

"I think we should forget about it for a little while," Skittery said.

Jack and me looked at each other in shock. "Oh do you?" Jack asked.

"Yeah, I mean, we're not Brooklyn." Race said.

"Hey who are we kiddin' here? Spot was right. Is it just a game to you guys?" Jack asked.

The boys' answers were jumbled, seeing as they were all talking at once.

"I can't believe you all," I said, disgusted. "If we have to spend so much on papes, how are we gonna eat?"

No one answered. They all looked down.

"Open the gates and seize the day. Don't be afraid and don't delay. Nothing can break us, no one can make us give our rights away. Arise and seize the day!"

"Now is the time to seize the day!"

"Send out the call and join the fray!"

"Wrongs will be righted if we're united. Let us seize the day!"

"Friends of the friendless, seize the day!"

"Raise up the torch and light the way!"

"Proud and defiant, we'll slay the giant. Let us seize the day!"

"Neighbor to neighbor, father to son, one for all and all for one!"

"Open the gates and seize the day!"

"Don't be afraid and don't delay!"

"Nothing can break us, no one can make us give our rights away!"

"Neighbor to neighbor, father to son, one for all and all for one!"

The circulation bell rung.

"Did anyone hear that?" Jack asked.

"No!"

"So what're we gonna do about it?" I asked.

"Soak 'em!"

We went running to the distribution center. Traitors were grabbing their papes and three boys joined our side. A bigger fella came next. The boys had him surrounded and Davey was trying to keep them calm. It didn't work.

It turned into chaos, an all-out soaking.

Rotten fruit and papes flew everywhere. We were all ripping papes left and right, enjoying every second of it. There were so many papes being ripped to shreds, it looked like snow on the ground. The wagon was even turned over.

Jack looked he was a child opening presents on Christmas day. I ran to him, hugging him.

"First strike a success I think," I yelled over the boys shouting.

He nodded. Davey came up and Jack patted him on the shoulder. A whistle came. Jack and me looked at each other.

"Hey, it's the bulls!" I yelled.

"Hey, cheese it! It's the bulls!" Jack yelled.

Everyone went running. Jack made sure I was in front of him. I looked behind me and Crutchy was still ripping papes. "No!" I said. Jack stopped me from helping get Crutchy.

I heard Race yelling at him, but it was too late.

The Delanceys had him.