Chapter 12: Snow Isn't Actually Cold

12

Zoey.

Rut and I sit on our porch as we play with Rion and wait for Rigel. It's only been several hours since he's been with us, but I feel like it's been longer. He reminds me of Corby, and instead of dwelling on the bad memories of him, I try my best to pull up all the good ones and play with Rion.

Rut pets the dog and Rion crawls over his hand and as Rut holds him up, I ask him, "Where were you yesterday? Your mom said you didn't come home."

He makes faces at Rion but I can tell he's listening. "Sometimes when I get real bored around here, I go hang with Rigel and we would go hunt these places in Nowhere we haven't been to. Yesterday, we found this tiny underground cave. It was so cool but so tiny. Right, Rion? You saw the teeny cave, didn't you, boy?"

He tries hard to get Rion to laugh but it's only making him uncomfortable and instead of laughing, Rion cries and wiggles his way back to my lap. He cuddles and nestles against me as Rut watches with confusion in his stare.

"Do you think Rigel has something to do with this?" he asks, a second later.

"With what?"

"Do you think Rigel trained him to be friendly only to a few selected people? I had him since yesterday, but he's never like that." He points to Rion, climbing over my shoulder and starting to nibble on my clothes.

"Or maybe he doesn't like you," I say, a grin on my lips.

Rut squints his eyes on me unbelievingly as he shakes his head. He still tries to play with Rion but he gets the same reaction every time. A while later, his phone rings and as he takes the call, a white Lexus stops in front of the house. Rigel comes out, and one call from him makes Rion jump and run to him.

Looking at Rigel, Rut whispers, "One minute," and on the phone, he says, "Yeah yeah, I'll be there in five."

He walks to Rigel and they talk for a second before Rigel says thanks and bids goodbye with Rion. As soon as Rigel drives away, Rut runs back to their house without a word. Seconds later, their garage door opens and he comes out with his sportsbike. He climbs over and in the move of putting his helmet on, his eyes glaze over to me, watching him silently and wondering how he can easily drift off without a word. I expect him to say goodbye or anything like it, but he looks at me, thinking, and a while later says, "You want to come?"

"Where?"

He doesn't answer but he goes back in their house and hands out an extra helmet as he comes out. Once I take it, he answers, "Mayor Humphrey owns this huge racetrack by the valley. Every year, we have a racing tournament there, a Mayor's cup. This year's competition will be on the thirtieth." He lends me his hand. "You want to come? You can watch me practice."

"Let me get a jacket," I say and Rut grins, watching me run inside. Running across Mom, I tell her I'm going out and will be back for dinner. When I walk back outside, Rut is still grinning.

"How fast the tides change," he laughs, "Last thing I remember, you usually stay in your room all day."

"Usually," I smile, getting on the bike. "This is one of the rare days."

"Then I love the rare days. Ready?"

I nod, my arms around his waist. And knowing Rut, I hold him tighter.

He notices because he says, "Don't worry, I'll drive slow."

I loosen my grip and he rides as he promises.