Chapter 14: Childhood Remains

14

Rut.

There are things I'm not quite good at. For one, trying to help Zoey. From the start, when I try to help her, she gets mad at me. Like that one time in her house when she locked me out of her room. But she's not mad at me right now. When I help her. I hug her and she hugs me back. And now, we're still hugging.

It's been long since we're out here. And more than five songs have shuffled-play around in my playlist. At first, it was Ed Sheeran because I don't know anyone who doesn't have Ed Sheeran in their playlist, so I might as well have him shuffling as well. Then there's Post Malone and some Maroon 5, then goes back to Ed and some country-oldies Johnny Cash. If the song is lively, we dance. If it's a little slow, we slow-dance. And I end up hugging her. Again and again and again. Zoey's a huggable creature. Especially when she hugs back. But I think she's getting enough of it so I quit. I know my limit.

I miss almost the half-end of the party, but seeing Zoey with her knees to her chin, smiling at the town and enjoying the killer view makes it better. "I like you happy," I say and she turns to me, caramel eyes cheerful than before and cheeks completely free from tears.

She doesn't say anything but she smiles. I look down at her pinkish lips which has a little less lipstick than any girl's lips in this party, and I suddenly want to do something I wanted to do since I was ten years old. I want to kiss her. But I'm not gonna do that. Not yet anyway. So I give her a sweet grin and turn to the town.

A minute later, she puts her head on my shoulder and I nuzzle my head on hers and lay an arm around her waist. She's warm. Very warm. Like a fresh batch of pancakes from Cappy's with a little whippie twirl on top. If I could stay like this all night, I would. But it's getting cold and freezing and my phone is ringing. So I take it out and Floyd Flynn's name is on the screen.

"What's up, dipshit?" Zoey looks up and I mouth to her that it's Flynn. And somewhat with humor or amusement on her face, she suppresses a laugh.

"You know I'm just calling because Chelsea wants to know where the hell are you. Party's ending, asshole, stop flirting and get your ass inside." He hangs up.

When I turn around, Flynn is standing by the side door with a scowl. His suit makes him look like an angry businessman who's about to fire all of his employees for wrong conduct. It's hard not to make fun of him. I turn to Zoey and she's waiting for me to say something so I tell her, "I have to go back inside. It'll be a quickie. You can wait in the car or you—"

"I'll be in the car," she says, taking my coat off the ground and handing it to me.

"Okay." I take the coat, and as I whisk the dust off it, I watch her straighten up her dress. This isn't the first time I saw her in a dress, but it is the first time I study her slide her hand down her fine ass.

I smile innocently when she turns to me and I take one subtle look from her head to toe. "You look great in that dress," I say before I turn to leave and I swear I saw her blush.

Flynn scoffs at me when I pass him by and I give him a pat in the bum. "You got a nice ass too, Double F. Don't be jealous, bro."

When I get inside, Chelsea's in the middle of a heartfelt speech. There's One Direction quietly playing in the speakers, her favorite. And there's some happy tears falling to her cheeks but she tries to hold them. Don't want to ruin the make up, of course. Mayor Humphrey and his wife are on the side, watching and listening to their daughter speak of them. Sean Dewitt is also with them, Chelsea's boyfriend for two years, although they've broken up a month ago and just gotten back together. Sean doesn't like me but he seems to be in good terms with Flynn. And although I've only dated their daughter for a week or two, Chelsea's parents love me.