Chapter 2

"Pain killers, check. Bandage wraps, check. Bandaids, check." I mumble to myself as I stack said medical items into the small, portable kit. I turn to find the wound wash I had just collected, only to not see it where it was previously placed. I rolled my eyes.

Of course it disappears as soon as I was packing it up.

With a sigh, I drop down to the ground quietly to search under the cabinets and tables.

"Where did that stupid thing roll off to?" I growled, aggressively pushing the hair that fell onto my face while I was searching for the bottle back behind my ears.

Ah ha. It had rolled under the extra, unused bed while I was packing up the other stuff. I must have accidently knocked it over while grabbing the bandages, making it tumble to the wall on the other side of the bed.

I flattened myself to the ground and squeezed myself under the bed as much as I could, reaching for the bottle that mocked me from the most unreachable point. My short arms were unable to grab it successfully, so I had to move the bed out of position in order to secure it.

"Gotcha," I grinned at the bottle and moved to the kit so I could pack it up. "There was no need to make me go through all that trouble, you stubborn brat." I glared at the cylinder container as if it would reply.

I sighed, remembering that is a bottle of wound wash I'm talking to. The lack of human contact is clearly making me go insane to the point where I'd talk to freaking medicine.

I closed the kit and placed it into my backpack, zipping it up and tossing it onto the table. I rubbed my temples and frowned, a headache fast approaching.

Why now of all times?

I was running low on pain killers, so I decided to just suck it up and walked away from the table towards my clean bed. It was going to be dark soon, and that means only one thing.

Night crawlers.

As a result of the pandemic and massacres that went on, the human race managed to be wiped out within three months. I shuddered at the memories that played in my head. It's been three whole years since it happened, but the memories and pain still haunts me to this day.

I freeze as I hear low groans outside, and quietly stumble to the bolted windows, peaking through the single hole that let me see out. Yep, it was a Night crawler alright.

Night crawlers are people that had caught the plague (Vitorsa), but didn't exactly die from it. Instead, they carry the infection and a simple touch from one of those killer corpses will instantly spread the infection onto whomever they have made contact with. Fortunately for you, they only come out at night, hence the name NIGHT crawlers.

I held my breath as it passed, not making a single sound. Night crawlers are blind, so they adapted to listening for any noise that could be a potential human for it to feast on.

You may be thinking 'Gosh, that's so easy to avoid. You just have to stay quiet,' but they have an irritatingly remarkable sense of hearing. A simple action of taking a deep breath to them is like what a gun shot is to normal humans. That's how phenomenal they're hearing was.

I slowly reached for a knife that was resting in my belt and gripped its handle, ready to strike if necessary. Much to my relief, it didn't sense me and continued stumbling along. I stayed in that spot for a few more moments to see if there was any other Night crawler approaching, but there was none.

My heart rate finally slowing down, I took a deep, quiet breath and tiptoed back to my bed. I lied down as quietly as I could, too tired to deal with any lurking, practically dead idiot that happens to passing by.

My eyes were heavy and threatening to close any second now, but I wasn't in a safe area to sleep. This place was like an ant mound, except instead of being full of ants, it was full of Night crawlers. I suppressed a sigh and sat up, knowing well enough that if I remained laying down any longer I would fall asleep.

I haven't slept in 4 days, but I need to gather enough supplies before I can move to another location. I'm almost at the limit, but I need to find more medical supplies because itty bitty bandaids and a stubborn bottle of disinfectant isn't enough to prevent bleeding and help heal the bigger injuries.

I'm currently settled in a small house just outside of Seoul, where I previously lived. Since Seoul is a ginormous city, it's SWARMED with Night crawlers. Everywhere you stepped there was some sort of body part or a whole body littering the place. It was horrendous, the amount of bodies that just lied dead in the streets and shops. Seoul is now just a place of corpses and zombies, no living being located anywhere in that city.

Since sleep wasn't an option, I decided to pack up and organize my weapons. I crept over to the drawer where I stashed my backup guns and knives and gently opened it. There they were, shiny and sharp as ever. I slowly unzipped my backpack and started stacking some of the loaded guns next to the pouch where I kept my extra knives. You'd be surprised to see just how much this seemingly small bag can carry. I even have food and drinks stocked up in here.

Adjusting the remaining guns and knives onto the belt around my waist that was designed to carry these things, I opened the drawer next to where the weapons were originally located and grabbed all of the ammo I had collected from the previous homes I invaded when leaving Seoul.

Securely packing them into my bag and double leave checking that the guns had full ammo, I brushed my hands together with satisfaction. I finally finished packing everything and can move to the farthest city away from Seoul I can manage tomorrow.

The further away from Seoul, the better.

There will still be Night crawlers making their way across Korea, but the majority of them were in Seoul because when they were human, they were desperately pushing and tormenting the government for a cure. If Vitorsa didn't manage to catch them and make them drop dead, the government did one heck of a good job killing them off themselves.

As I saw the sun started to peek over from the horizon, I decided to get some sleep, even if it was for a few hours. The Night crawlers have probably already made their way into hiding to avoid the sun that would dissolve their rotten skin, so it was safe to finally close my eyes.

I need as much energy as possible if I'm going to make it a decent amount of distance at from Seoul, so let's just pray I find a crawler free zone while I'm at it.