Chapter Three and a Half

*********

Chapter Three and a Half

No one wants to die. Even people who want to go to heaven don’t want to die to get there. And yet death is the destination we all share. No one has ever escaped it. And that is as it should be, because Death is very likely the single best invention of Life. It clears out the old to make way for the new. ~Steve Jobs

****

The day of her parents’ funeral was rainy, the gray clouds above filling the sky and blocking all possible rays of sun. Maybe it would have been more bearable if the warm sun were hitting against her face, thawing out her bitter emotions that were building up inside of her. The day seemed almost as sad as Noor’s heart felt, yet her face appeared emotionless to all of those who looked at her. Yuna was the one they were worried about. She was sad all of the time, tears constantly streaming down her face on display for all those who passed by. Why would she ever want to look so vulnerable?

Noor would never be seen as weak. She had decided that right after her mother shut the door in her face and they left into the night. They would never come back that night. She knew that, of course, and so did her parents. She would have to do as they said and take care of Yuna, and the only way she could do that was by being strong. Once she was inside of the comfort of her own room she would let it all come out, but not anywhere that Yuna could possible see.

Nocarae funerals were much longer than Noor felt that they had to be. Before the sun rose, all of the members of the city were to gather in the main market square, taking time to line all of the streets with black rose petals. It was a touching gesture, but it wasn’t like her parents would be able to appreciate the beauty of it all. It just simply took up time from the busy lives of the townspeople.

After the rose petal ceremony, all which attended, their voices floating through the sky as the warm sun rose behind the altar, would chant a hymn to remember those who had left their physical bodies. During the hymn, Noor completely zoned out, her eyes staring at the urns ahead that held the ashes of her parents. A little sob caught in her young throat, and she found herself pushing herself through the crowd. Most of the crowd tried to ignore it and continue on with their words, but a few did politely ask her if she was okay before parting for her.  

None of them actually meant it. No one would ever mean it. People were only ever thinking about their own personal gain. What could anyone possibly gain from helping her? Her body was flying through the air now, moving faster than she ever had. Was it even safe to fly as fast as she was? She didn’t care; she had to go faster.

“Ahhhhhh…” She groaned, sharply inhaling as the unwelcome sting of rain falling through the ceiling of her home brought her out of her dream. She hoped that she would eventually forget that day, but for the moment her heart was still beating quickly. It was a steady pattern, the ba-bum ba-bum ba-bum filling her ears. She heard the sudden creak of wood; she waited, she listened, and out of the corner of her eye she saw something move. ba-bum ba-bum. She wrapped herself in her blankets like they would create some kind of protective shell. In that moment the room seemed to become inexplicably cold as her breath hung in the air. Heavy shuffling seemed to move towards her room. Her heart was speeding up. It entered her room. She dared not look. She closed her eyes and began to softly cry. There was nothing more that could save her. Hot breath fell against her bare neck. Her heart was racing. Thin arms were around her, pulling her into a hug, and she finally broke. Tears streamed down her face, desperate sobs leaving her mouth as she clung onto whoever was holding onto her. Who was it? Their hands were petting the top of her head, trying to calm her down to a manageable state. She tried to take steady breaths, but the pain in her heart only grew larger.

When the tears finally stopped streaming and her vision became clear, she looked up to see Yuna sitting above her, tears in her own baby blues. “You don’t have to stay strong anymore.” She whispered as she pulled her sister into her arms once more until they were both lying like that. The rain outside stopped, and both of them fell asleep together to the sounds of the gentle breeze running through tree leaves.