·8· swim tryouts

Percy's pov
We all woke up early so I could go to tryouts and everyone else could come and cheer me on.

When we got to tryouts, the schools resident player, Jack said "I hope you're not trying out for captain Jackson." "You're right Jack. I don't need to try. I could beat you in my sleep." And with that I strutted off.

"Boys take a knee!" Coach Henderson yelled. "We have 4 people competing for captain. Percy Jackson lane 1, Jack Messick lane 2, Shane Pittman lane 3, Anthony Grave lane 4."

"On your mark, get set, go!"

I swam too fast I think. I heard Annabeth yelling at me to slow down so I did. I forgot how many laps he said to do so I did 15. When I got out of the pool, everyone else was still swimming. Whoops.

"Jackson!" Uh oh. "Why didn't you tell me you were like half fish?" Coach said. My clever response was "uh- I don't know coach. I think I got it from my dad. He loves the ocean." Coach looked at me in shock. "Well you're the team captain now!" I grinned. By the time I dried off, everyone else was out of the water.

"Okay boys. Your new team captain is Jackson. If you have any objections, feel free to leave and you will not come back."

Of course being the idiot he is, Jack spoke up. "How is Jackson better than me? I did all 10 laps in 3 minutes!" Coach replied "He did 15 in 2. Now, since you objected, one more step out of line and you're out."

I smirked and ran over to my wise girl.

When I got to Annabeth, one of the boys on the team was in the middle of being judo flipped by Piper. Tough luck for that guy.

"Hi wise girl!" She smiled. "Hi seaweed brain! Or should I say cheater?" She said jokingly. I laughed and stuck my tongue out at her. "If my dad didn't want me to be good at swimming then he shouldn't have let me." She laughed and punched my arm. I pretended like it hurt and she smiled.