1I Stepbrothers

"I'm getting remarried."

And with those simple words, my life changed forever. "Fun," I muttered, not sure if I'd heard my dad correctly. To be honest, I wasn't sure how to feel. I'd known that my dad was dating a woman called Jessica who I'd met a couple of times, but I didn't think anything would come out of it. Obviously, I was happy my dad had moved on from my mom, but over the past two years I had grown accustomed to it just being my dad and I.

Jessica was alright, but I wasn't sure if I could ever really call her my mom. I didn't know her too well so I couldn't exactly judge her, but it also meant I wasn't as comfortable with her as other people.

"Will there be chocolate?"

My dad seemingly ignored my question, instead continuing to speak.

"This evening we're going for dinner at a fancy restaurant, so please dress smart," he smiled kind of nervously. I just nodded at him reassuringly before checking the time. 3pm. I guess I needed to start getting ready.

I dragged myself to my feet and decided to force myself up the stairs, legs cramping after having binge watched TV all afternoon.

My go to outfit for any occasion had always been baggy jeans and an oversized sweatshirt, so this time I chose I decided to go the extra mile and choose a sweatshirt without a food stain on. 

I wasn't a big fan of makeup because I was always too lazy to put it on, but I did decide to put on a bit of mascara, concealer and lip gloss, just to complete my look.

I finished getting ready so I quickly ran down the stairs where I saw my dad pacing by the door, running a hand through his hair and looking nervous.

I smiled slightly at how he had actually put some effort into his clothes and hairstyle, something he hadn't done since mom was arrested.

I was quite proud how he was picking himself back up, seemingly ready to start his life again. For the first time in six months, I found him looking happy. And I owed it to Jessica.

He looked up at me when he heard my footsteps coming down the stairs and I noticed a small frown on his face.

"Come on, Lila. Couldn't you have worn a dress?" he asked in annoyance.

"No," I said defensively. I mean, I did like dresses, and to be fair they always made me feel pretty, but I felt happier in the comfort my usual clothes provided.

He opened his mouth to reply, but was interrupted by the doorbell.

My dad turned away from me while wiping his sweaty palms down his trouser legs, before opening the door and plastering a grin on his face.

I walked over to stand by him as he stepped to the side, allowing Jessica to come in.

I waited for him to shut the door, but he didn't. I frowned slightly and moved so I could see the driveway, wandering who else he could possibly be waiting for. That's when I saw them. Six boys all making their way towards us.

I turned to face my dad, eyebrows furrowed. Oh shit. Please don't say Jessica had sons.

He glanced over to me before forcing a smile that was clearly covering up his anxiety. "Lila, these are your new stepbrothers," he said, just as the first boy entered and the rest followed.

Oh yay. Just my luck.

To be honest, despite the fact I was extremely annoyed with my dad for only just throwing this new piece of information on me, I couldn't help but feel slightly excited. I'd always wanted some sort of sibling, and even if I had never imagined to have six older brothers, I was still fairly welcoming of the idea.