16I Safe

I rolled over and grabbed my phone off my bedside table.

I was lying on the arm which had my fit bit on and I couldn't be bothered to move it to check the time, so I looked at my phone screen.

Oh. My God.

I stared at the date on my phone and willed myself not to cry. I'd completely forgotten that this day was coming up.

I put down my phone and rolled over so I was facing the ceiling.

Today was my mom's birthday.

I remembered her hugs, how she always smelled of lavender, how soft her kisses were against my forehead, how she knew exactly how to make me laugh and exactly how to cheer me up.

I remembered how when I was younger, I would wake up at 6 o'clock in the morning and not be able to get back to sleep, so I would get in between my mom and dad in their bed and crawl under the covers until I was in my own little 'cave' as I liked to call it.

I missed her a lot more than I could ever admit.

I sighed and forced myself to slip out from underneath my comforter to get ready for school.

I really didn't feel like dressing up, so I just pulled on a comfortable pair of leggings and a grey hoodie. I also brushed through my hair a couple of times and slipped on a plain pair of black sneakers.

I trudged out of my door and down the two flights of stairs, walking into the kitchen where Noah was already sat at the table.

I knew that Mason was already at work and Logan was still in bed since he had the day off, meaning that I would have to make breakfast myself...

Or I couldn't. It wasn't like I was feeling hungry anyway.

If anything, I had a sick feeling in my stomach that made me think that eating something right now may not have been the best idea.

"Hey," I heard Noah say behind me. I was pouring myself a glass of water so that my back was to him.

"Hi," I mumbled back, not copying the cheerfulness in his voice. I didn't really have a reason to be cheerful. Today was a day that I just wallowed in sadness and thought about my mom and how there was a chance I wouldn't see her for another 20 years. My dad had never told me what prison she was at.

"Are you OK?" he asked but I kept my back to him.

"Fine," I muttered.

"Lila, what's wrong? I've known you for a month now. Some thing's going on," he sighed with a bit of desperation laced in his voice.

"It's nothing," I grumbled, raising my glass to my lips.

"Will your dad know what it is?" he asked.

I froze and slowly set down my drink.

My dad!

I realized that over the past couple of weeks I'd completely forgotten about him. I felt quite guilty, but I guessed that since I hadn't received any texts from him since he left, I kind of got used to not having him around.

He hadn't called me on my birthday, a massive asshole move to be honest, but considering the day I just wanted to check he was alright.

Mind you, there was a chance he didn't even care about mom anymore.

"I'll be back in a second," I said.

I sprinted out of the kitchen and up the stairs to my room, not bothering to shut my bedroom door behind me.