Prologue

Zela looked down at the small duffle bag sucking in her breath as she tried to hold back the tears that were making a breakthrough

Zela looked down at the small duffle bag sucking in her breath as she tried to hold back the tears that were making a breakthrough. The contents in her bag were scarce, a few tank tops, jeans and tights and two pairs of hand me down sneakers from the Goodwill store.

She looked down at the small nameplate necklace that sparkled right in her eye as she placed her hand over it as she felt the engraving, Z.W. That's all she had of her real life, her name, Zela Wyatt. It wasn't much but it was the only thing keeping her alive and from running away. Zela knew that her parents were going to come for her, ever since she was four years old. Now eighteen and they still haven't made an appearance.

Zela was dropped right on the front step of foster services at four years and life was hell ever since. She saw as kids came and went barely being given the opportunity to show potential families that she can be the kid that she wanted. But it always came up short to where they just plainly gave up. That didn't mean that she wasn't going to make something for herself while she waited on her perfect family. Zela worked since middle school from babysitting jobs then recently getting a mcdonalds job and stayed focused on her studies, if her parents or any family wouldn't come and find her then she would fully let go and accept that it was just her in this world.

She shook her head, reaching behind her neck as she unhooked her necklace and placed it into the small hidden pocket in her duffle bag.

"Zela!" Tiffany, the foster mother yelled as her voice echoed through the small three bedroom home as Zela quickly shot up, throwing her backpack over her shoulder.

"Are you coming back?" Layla, the youngest foster child just at six years old, stood in front of Zela as her eyes beamed at her.

She leaned down giving her the biggest hug and kissed her on the temple before looking up and seeing the other five kids who crowded themselves in the room.

Zela had such great connections with other kids, from bringing back home leftover food from her night shifts at the restaurants and even small toys and gifts. She really saw them as little siblings and now she had to leave.

"I'll ask Ms.Tiffany if I can come and visit once and awhile, even come and babysit you guys okay?" Zela reassured as Destiny and Diamond ran over hugging Zela.

They were the oldest after Zela at seventeen years old and identical sisters. They both were in the same boat as Zela, struggling to find a home. There were times people wanted just Diamond or just Destiny but they refused to get picked by a family without each other. Zela grew so close to them enough to call them sisters. From spending so much time together, they became that small little feeling for a real family and she appreciated that. It was just hard that she had to leave them behind so soon.

"Are you leaving the state?" Destiny asked as tears streamed down her cocoa skin as Zela smiled, swiping it away.

"No I'm not leaving the state. I'll be here, not even that far away." She answered.