(12) - Early Release

Marshall sat in his bunk as he looked out the window as he exhaled the cloud of smoke from his last cigarette he held onto before being released in a few days

Marshall sat in his bunk as he looked out the window as he exhaled the cloud of smoke from his last cigarette he held onto before being released in a few days. He already promised himself that he would kick the habit and smoke it a few days earlier just to calm his nerves before being released.

Last time he remembered, the streets differed completely from what he was used to. Everyone he knew was old or dead and gone from the years he became a sitting duck in prison. There were a few people that he was close to like Michelle still around in his life which he was grateful for. Kane was now a grown man and he doubted if Kane wanted to even speak to him, which he would have to accept for now. Marshall didn't even know why Kane felt so stand offish against him but he would press on the issue when him and his only son was face to face.

He looked at the all pictures that he took whenever Kane visited, seeing how much he changed since when he first was locked up to eighteen years later. He definitely kept eyes on Kane and knew what he was doing, hoping that he didn't land himself in jail just like his father.

He swallowed hard, immediately growing disgusted from the taste of the Newport that was coating his tongue and ashed into the corner or window.

"So what you doing when you getting out OG?" His cellmate Devin asked as he hopped off the top bunk handing him a Capri-sun.

If  there was one thing Marshall had behind these walls, it was respect. He served the most time in Gen pop and nobody dared try him. He had respect from the gang members to the officers.

"Taking a decent shower, I'm surprised I aint die from infection in this bitch." He answered as they both laughed as Devin took a seat next to him.

Marshall took a liking to Devin, he was only twenty-two serving a ten-year sentence, he already had four years down and had six more to go but he handled it better than most immature kids who were already here. Marshall damn near saw him as a son. Although he had some moments where he had to save him from some minor altercations, Devin held his own.

"You right. You know I'm trying to get this furlough to go to my cousin's funeral..." He spoke as he held his head low, making Marshall throw out a breath.

"Where your cousin? Cause you know I aint driving far. Damn I aint even released yet and you got me making moves," He joked as Devin chuckled.

"Man, it's cool you know you aint gotta do shit for me but shit, you the only one who really looked out for me since I got into this bitch." He cleared his throat as he took the envelope from under his pillow, handing it over to Marshall.

Marshall hesitantly looked down at the letter and back at Devin, already hoping that Devin didn't put Marshall into some shit that he didn't need to be in.

"Look man you get me caught the fuck up with this shit, I won't hesitate to get yo ass killed, got me?" Marshall threatened as Devin nervously laughed.