Chapter 8: The Strongest Under the Heavens

Goku wasn't sure how to feel about the emergence of this particular Olympian god. As Camp Half-Blood Forest's coniferous trees burned to cinders in a mass sea of flame, he took it upon himself to silently analyze Ares's form. He noted that said God of War had a murderous look of fury etched on his face, both "eyes" glaring into Goku's very soul. The Saiyan could obviously tell Ares had a lot of experience in battle, but, unfortunately, his total power level did not seem all that impressive at first glance. However, recalling the strange nature of Aphrodite and Artemis's ki signatures from before, Goku hoped that Ares could be the first opponent from this universe to give him a challenging, worthwhile fight. After everything he's been through in the past few hours, such a hypothetical battle was something he desperately needed.

            "So, I'm guessing you're Ares, right?" Goku questioned with narrowed eyes.

            "Oh, the great Son Goku recognizes me, huh?  I'm truly honored." Ares sarcastically chuckled with a condescending smirk. Aphrodite nervously darted her eyes from Goku to Ares, already anticipating the vitriolic confrontation that was about to take center stage.

            "Don't even think about it, Ares! I've trapped you once and I can do it again." Aphrodite growled defensively. She stood in front of Goku, keeping her new love interest away from harm.

            "With what? Those pathetic rosebuds you call thorns? Don't make me laugh. Out of all people, you should know that pyrokinesis is one of my most useful abilities. If my ride can extinguish this forest here, burning your vines was practically a cakewalk." Ares mocked Aphrodite's attempt at acting assertive. Taking a hesitant step back, Aphrodite stood her ground and glared profusely at Ares.

            "I admit that was a small... well, big miscalculation on my part, but the meaning behind my previous attack still stands. I am solely responsible for Goku's arrival here and I won't let you, nor any of the other Olympians, lay a finger on him because of it!" Aphrodite promised with the utmost conviction. She furrowed her now-black eyebrows, causing her irises to sport an energized pink hue once again.

            "I appreciate the help, Aphrodite, but this situation is my mess to clean up just as much as it is yours. Heck, to be honest, I willingly surrendered myself to Artemis and the girls about a half-hour ago." Goku reiterated Aphrodite's claim whilst placing a firm hand on her shoulder. Said love goddess tilted her head to the side in momentary shock.

            "Huh? You did?" Aphrodite exclaimed surprisedly. Artemis then parted from her startled Hunters and stood a few feet apart from Goku's side.

            "He's telling the truth, Aphrodite. After a little skirmish involving my Hunters and a hydra, Goku agreed to stand trial on Mount Olympus amongst Zeus and the others. Well, that is, once he woke up from the aftereffects of my specially designed tranquilizer dart." Artemis summarized the events of her first confrontation with Goku. She couldn't help, but smirk at the fact that she managed to incapacitate Goku despite their sizable gap in strength.

            "Hey! I was caught off-guard, Artemis. How was I supposed to know that you were going to attack me right as I got done destroying that hydra?" Goku indignantly defended himself. Artemis shook her head and sighed at the aforementioned martial artist's "offended" tone.

            "Hunting doesn't always involve a fair fight, Goku. A successful hunter always knows when to take advantage of their prey's most prominent weaknesses." Artemis knowledgably explained the practices indicative of hunting for sport and, under more extreme circumstances, survival. "Shouldn't a fighter of your caliber and experience be aware of that by now?"

            Goku thought over Artemis's question for a moment or two, wondering if her claim was valid to the standard conditions of his past battles. Recalling the time when Piccolo blasted him in the shoulder during the 23rd World Martial Arts Tournament finals, another moment where he blindly left himself open for attack, Goku begrudgingly agreed with said moon goddess's statement.