jeno [thirteen]

That weekend, you never left your apartment. Jeno's bouts of wakefulness and sleep were unpredictable, and you really didn't want to spend another four hours aimlessly riding around on the subway. After officially running out of food, because you couldn't even risk grocery shopping, instead ordering takeout for the two of you. Even showering was risky, but thankfully he had yet to pass out in the shower or during any other unfortunate situation.

Sunday night, you habitually checked your student email, and let out a loud groan of relief.

"What?" Jeno questioned from where he was doing sit-ups on your floor. You'd found that giving him exercise routines to do during his times of extreme wakefulness and energy helped him be a little less chaotic.

"My Chem professor cancelled class for tomorrow. That means that I just have to get any important information from Jaehyun for my 8 AM."

He seemed about ready to argue you skipping class for him, but presumably remembered the last time he'd joined you at class and instead shut his mouth.

"I'll text him right now," you mused aloud. "Actually, I'll call him, he's one of those kinds of people."

The line rang a few times, then was picked up, "Hey, Y/N."

"Hey, Jaehyun," you greeted your friend brightly.

"Are you... at the gym?"

He was most likely referencing the grunting sounds Jeno was making as he now performed burpees in your living room.

"Not quite. I've got a friend over and he's exercising." Good one, now it definitely doesn't sound like you're in the middle of a booty call. Because normal people go to their friends' apartments to exercise. Clearing your throat, you quickly changed the topic, "Uh, anyway, I won't be in class tomorrow, could you please send me notes or assignments?"

"Sure. But, why won't you be there?"

"I've got this volunteering thing I'm doing," you tried your best fib, watching Jeno switch to push-ups this time.

"Okay, yeah, I'll let you know what you miss."

"Thanks, Jae, you're the best—Jeno!" You screeched his name out as he suddenly jumped on the couch you were sitting on.

"Yeah, yeah," Jaehyun said with some amusement and some disgust in his tone. "You and Jeno have fun with your 'volunteering.'"

And he hung up.

You wrinkled your nose, cheeks flushing at the heavy stress he put on his last words. He definitely did not believe you were going to be volunteering tomorrow morning. But that was fine, as long as he got you the notes.

Shoving the hyperactive Jeno—who was jumping on your couch like a five-year-old—off, you flopped down with an arm over your eyes and dramatically announced, "Jaemin's now not the only one who thinks we're fucking."

"I don't even know Jaehyun," Jeno shrugged, sliding across the tile in his socks into your kitchen to grab himself a glass of water. He seemed to be coming down from his energized state.

You figured that you had about thirty to forty-five minutes of normal Jeno before he crashed again. Before, it would be an immediate switch, but gradually the time between the highs and lows had extended, and you could sense them starting to balance out a bit more.

"He knows me, he knows Jaemin, and he knows Yuta," you retorted, flicking on your TV.

As soon as the kitsune's name was out of your mouth, you realized your mistake. Jeno put the glass down a bit too harshly on your counter, and you sucked in a sharp breath. Neither of you had brought Yuta up since your dinner a few nights ago when you had quite literally made Jeno cry with a single sentence.