Upon arrival part 1

Marinette's POV

"Your highness, we are arriving in China," said one of the staff members. I rubbed my eyes and thanked her as she left to find the other crew.

I stretched in my seat and yawned. I tried to sleep but ended up rewatching some videos of me and my friends.
"I'm sorry my love," I whispered. I went into contacts and clicked on Adrien.

I pressed on the call button and immediately regretted it.
"Hello?" asked Adrien through the phone. I listened for a while and smiled.
"If you're trying to sell me something or ask to switch broadbands, stop trying. I'm having a bad day so leave me alone," groaned Adrien as he hung up.

I chuckled sadly as I scrolled through some more contacts. I called Alya.
"Hey girl," said Alya. "Did you get my messages?"
"Yep. You wanted me to call you when I arrived. I'm here," I said sadly.
"Girl, I think this was a mistake. You should come back," sighed Alya.
"I can't. There's nothing there for me anymore," I said, a tear rolling down my cheek.
"How come?" asked Alya. "There's us, school."
"Ma'am, you can now be shown to your car," said the pilot as he stood in front of me.

I got up.
"Adrien hates me Alya. I just know it," I started, grabbing my handbag. I put it over me and got off the plane with one of my bodyguards carrying my stuff.
"Girl, he doesn't hate you. He's just irritated that you broke your promise," chuckled Alya. "You're soulmates. There is no way he would stay mad at you for long."
"Just like you and Nino," I pointed out.
"Just like me and Nino," said Alya in agreement. I got in the car and slammed the door shut.
"How was school?" I asked.
"Lonely. I kind of wish I attended a school closer to yours. I did make a friend called Harriet though," said Alya. "Nino was lonely too. He was planning on meeting with you and Adrien and going to the cafe down the road from your school for lunch. Adrien didn't show. He went home for lunch so Nino went to the cafeteria."
"Ouch. I didn't realise how hard this would be on the others," I said sadly.
"Are you going to come back?" asked Alya.
"I can't. The plan worked. Lady Butterfly will follow me and once I am defeated, she will come back to claim her prize. Like I'd ever let that happen," I explained with a scoff at the end.
"So you'll return next year?" asked Alya hopefully.

"About that..." I began.
"What?" asked Alya in a firm tone.
"The school called today. I didn't get in. So I won't be attending this year or next year. I... I have to apply for... for the year after," I stammered.
"Oh girl!" cried Alya, her voice softening. "How could they do this to you?"
"Well it's my fault. I should've taken more care of protecting Nooroo," I sighed.
"Don't blame yourself for not getting into the school," cried Alya. "I should have a word with them! Do they know who you are?"
"No. And I'd like it to stay that way. Besides, it wouldn't be fair if I took someone else's spot because of my title even though they put in the hard work!" I protested with a laugh.
"But you did work hard," whined Alya.
"For this year. I wouldn't like it if someone took my spot because of their title," I pointed out.
"Yes moral compass," groaned Alya.

We both fell into a fit of laughter.
"So where's Adrien and Nino?" I asked.
"Adrien is in his apartment researching flights to... shoot!" cried Alya.
"Flights to where?" I asked.
"China. I wasn't supposed to tell you that. Please... do not call him!" sighed Alya.
"I won't," I lied. "Where's Nino?"
"Making a start on his first project ever. I am so proud of him," said Alya, wiping away what she said from her mind and hoping I did the same.
"Me too. He has grown a long way from when I knew him before you and Adrien joined," I said in agreement.

After half an hour of talking, I wished Alya a good night and fell asleep. I would talk to Adrien later.