𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐭𝐰𝐨 ─ 𝐡𝐢𝐬𝐭𝐨𝐫𝐲

────── LONELY HEART

chapter two

ii

ii. History

TRUDY PLATT GREETED MARLOWE AND JAY as they walked through the front doors of the precinct. She was a tall and older woman with longer grey hair, but the woman was tough as nails and expected the upmost respect from her patrol officers. She was now the precinct's front desk sergeant, benched from taking a bullet from the hip, but the injury never deterred her passion for the job. Platt had seen a lot in her life as an officer other a bullet taking away her detective duties with her elderly father being murdered a year prior, several of her officers killed in the past few years, and having to endure Alvin Olinsky and Hank Voight the longest out of anyone in the Twenty-First.

Marlowe and Jay had stayed out by the river for about an hour until Jay had cried most of his frustrations out while she just sat there and listened. She had tried to con him into going home, but he assured her that desk duty was what he wanted to do for the rest of the shift.

When they got back upstairs, they went to their designated desks and sat down. Marlowe's eyes flickered to a photograph sitting next to her computer screen. A family portrait stared back at her, a beautiful tan and dark-haired woman held two children in her lap with a third child stood to her left smiling. The small girl that stood was the oldest Romero child, Brooklyn, who wore curled pigtails and a pale blue dress that day. In their mother's lap sat Marlowe who was around three, beaming brightly for the camera in a dusty yellow dress as she leaned forwards and held her jelly sandal clad feet. And next to her laid a sleeping baby boy, Cody, swaddled tightly in a white blanket. Their father, not pictured, had been in a business meeting while Gloria Romero sat happily with her children for their scheduled bi-monthly photo sessions.

That was when things were a lot simpler for the Romeros.

"It's really best if you get out of here, Jay," She heard Voight tell him.

Marlowe hummed in response, still looking at the photograph, "That's what I told him."

Jay sent a glare her way, this time free of any real anger, before responding to their sergeant, "I was told I could work desk duty."

The three of them perked up upon hearing footsteps come up the stairs.

"Sarge, caught a break at the mini mart," Hailey announced as she and Adam appeared, "The owner's wife knows Lil GG. His real name's Calvin Shaw."