𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐬𝐢𝐱 ─ 𝐦𝐨𝐮𝐬𝐞 𝐭𝐫𝐚𝐩𝐬

────── LONELY HEART

chapter six

vi

vi. Mouse Traps

THE SCENT OF FRENCH VANILLA AND RASPBERRIES ALWAYS SEEMED TO LINGER AROUND MARLOWE'S DESK, her sweet perfume mixing with the coffee she always picked up before she entered the precinct in the mornings. It was a homey fragrance, inviting and warm especially in the autumn season.

It was chilly in Chicago, in the mid-forties, with rain possible that evening.

Marlowe was content, typing away on her keyboard when she heard footsteps stomping up the main staircase next to her desk. Her eyes glanced away from the screen as a wax paper bag was slid across the surface of her desk, the object bouncing into the side of her arm. She met Jay's gaze, his forced smile not reaching his eyes like his genuine grin usually would. Inside the small packaging was two chocolate croissants, Marlowe thanking him softly before she glanced back up at him.

"So, I've got a question," He told her, leaning his legs against the desk.

Raising her eyebrows, Marlowe turned her chair in his direction, "I might have an answer."

"Did you happen to say anything in your report about the bar fight? You, Hailey, Atwater, and Ruzek were the only four to know."

She shook her head, "No, I didn't mention it. Something come up about it?"

Jay nodded, his shoulders falling as he sighed, "I got a meeting with IAD later about it."

Marlowe watched Jay stalk over to his desk, picking open the pastry bag again as she did so. He roughly pulled his chair out and messily threw his jacket over the back of it before plopping down in the seat. Without another word, Marlowe began eating the pastries he had brought her and went back to work.

Hailey sauntered up the stairs a few minutes later looking rather bothered, running a hand through her tangled blonde hair as she entered Marlowe's peripheral sight. Raising her eyebrows, the brunette silently questioned her and only earned a silent nod in the direction of the break room as a response. Marlowe shoved the remainder of the first croissant in her mouth as she stood up from her seat, walking down the middle aisle behind Hailey.

"What's going on?" Marlowe asked once they were alone, pulling herself up on the counter by the coffee machine.

Hailey glanced over her shoulder, peering through the open blinds covering the glass paneled wall. She was looking at Jay, who was preoccupied looking through the files on his desk, but there was obvious worry written on her face.