𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐭𝐡𝐫𝐞𝐞 ─ 𝐫𝐨𝐨𝐭𝐬

────── LONELY HEART

chapter three

iii

iii. Roots

MARLOWE CAME BACK TO THE TABLE WITH TWO BEER BOTTLES IN HAND, sliding one across the table towards the thankful blonde. Hailey nodded her head towards her, taking a sip of the bottle.

It had been another long day at the office and the pair had decided to go out to Molly's to recap and end the day on a high note.

The two of them had been spending more time together outside of work more often in the month Marlowe had settled upstairs in Intelligence. She was gaining traction in the Intelligence unit one step at a time, becoming more dependable in field work and her technical skills. Marlowe was thankful for the warm welcoming she had been given, gaining more and more field knowledge from the unit's point of view, not just as a uniformed officer. Hank Voight ran things a little more differently than traditional police guidelines, living up to the rumors that he ran things his way even if they were under a magnifying glass by the Ivory Tower.

Hailey sighed as both of their phones buzzed on the table, Marlowe looking up at the screen of hers to see a notification from Homicide.

"What do they want?" Marlowe asked, grumbling as she slid back out of her chair, "Especially this late?"

"I think their name says it all," Hailey remarked as she pulled her jacket on over her t-shirt.

"Okay, smartass."

They rode together in Marlowe's car towards the address they had been provided with, pulling into a vacant plot of land that was being used as a trash field behind a row of local businesses. Red and blue lights lit up the majority of the scene while uniformed officers were setting up spotlights around what they could only assume to be their victim under a white sheet. Other cops scoped the site with flashlights for surrounding evidence.

Marlowe put the car in park next to one of the police cruisers, both her and Hailey getting out of their seats. It was a breezy October night causing Marlowe to zip her leather jacket up over her chest as the pair entered the scene. Detective Jerry Hensley, the leader in the Homicide Unit, approached them as they stepped over the yellow tape cutting off the scene. He directed them to the body as they caught them up to speed, walking up to the white, plastic covering a portion of a pile of garbage.