𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐟𝐨𝐮𝐫 ─ 𝐬𝐞𝐥𝐟-𝐚𝐝𝐦𝐢𝐧𝐢𝐬𝐭𝐞𝐫𝐞𝐝 𝐣𝐮𝐬𝐭𝐢𝐜𝐞

────── LONELY HEART

chapter four

iv

iv. Self-Administered Justice

THE RESTAURANT MARLOWE AND ANTONIO ENTERED reminded Marlowe of somewhere her father would host company dinners at. Kim had stayed at the precinct with Lucia and Oscar, and Marlowe had pinged Bukowski's phone off a nearby cell tower for his location. Comparing that to a newly filled reservation charged to John Bukowski's credit card, she and Antonio drove into the city to pick him up.

"Chicago PD!" Antonio announced, holding his badge up and getting surrounding table's attentions, "Everybody stay where you are."

John stood up from his seat furiously, "What do you want?"

"Your son," Antonio told him as they stood directly behind Michael's chair.

"My son? For what?"

"He lied about knowing Gloria Morales. We want to know why," Antonio answered simply.

Marlowe grabbed ahold of Michael's arm, pulling him up from his chair at the packed table, and gave him a sarcastic smile, "Let's go for a ride, Buddy."

Pointing at John, Antonio's voice got firmer, "And we want the names and phone numbers of all your employees."

"Sure," He shrugged, "As soon as you show me a search warrant.

"Sounds like a deal to me," Marlowe scoffed, glancing at her partner, "Ant?"

"I'll have them for you in the morning," Antonio told him, turning on his heel to help Marlowe escort Michael out of the restaurant, "Let's go."

They heard John exclaim from behind them, "Not a word 'till the lawyers get there, Michael! Not a word!"

The drive back to the precinct was full of endless questions from Michael and constant eye rolls from Marlowe. She was glad to shove him into the interrogation room for Antonio and Voight to go at him, opting to spectate from the other side of the window in the room next door. Leaning against the wall, she crossed her arms over her chest and watched as Michael fidgeted under the heated gazes of the other two men in the room.

"Heard you've been getting pretty riled up," She didn't turn back to see who was entering the room behind her.

Marlowe shrugged nonchalantly as Jay stood at the window next to her, "Remind me to thank Kim for keeping you guys updated on my moods. Think I should get a mood ring for that? It'd save her the trouble."