𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐬𝐞𝐯𝐞𝐧 ─ 𝐠𝐮𝐚𝐫𝐝𝐢𝐚𝐧 𝐚𝐧𝐠𝐞𝐥𝐬

────── LONELY HEART

chapter seven

vii

vii. Guardian Angels

MARLOWE LAID SPRAWLED OUT BENEATH HER BLANKETS, snores leaving her parted lips as she hugged one of her pillows tightly to her chest. Her bedroom was only faintly illuminated by moonlight and yellow glow of the streetlight outside, entering through the large window above the headboard, seeping through the crack in the curtains and making odd patterns in the shadows throughout the room.

It had been a long day of running around Chicago for Marlowe, having not only ran errands, but chased down a notorious drug dealer that had quite the number of outstanding warrants. She had tackled the man that was twice her size in height and broadness with all the force she could muster, well aware that she would feel the repercussions of her actions the next day after she hit the ground and wrestled to cuff the man.

Needless to say, after a quick glass of whiskey and her usual nighttime routine, Marlowe was out as soon as her head hit the pillow.

She was peacefully asleep, occasionally stirring at the sound of revving engines passing by, but other than that she remained content. Dreaming of warm temperatures, the sun tanning her skin while water lapped at her feet, Marlowe's well-deserved rest took her to places she longed to be.

The soft opening of "Renegade" by Styx began to play through the room, Marlowe's phone screen lighting up from its spot on the nightstand on the left side of the bed. She only stirred slightly, hearing the buzzing vibration of the device. Jay's name and smiling face flashed across the screen, the ringtone only getting louder as it continued to ring.

Marlowe groaned in annoyance, pushing her pillow away from her as she blindly rolled over to reach out for her cell phone. Her eyes remained closed when she finally found it, swiping her thumb across the screen, and pressing it to her ear.

"This had better be good," She stated, eyes still closed.

"M," The panic in Jay's voice was enough to make Marlowe sit up in bed, eyes now wide open, "I need your help."

Her head snapped in the direction of the digital clock on the opposite bedside table, squinting to see the red numbers with her unadjusted eyes.

"Jay, it's three-thirty in the morning," Marlowe pushed her comforter off of her body, swinging her legs over the end of the bed, "What happened?"

"There's... I messed up," He cursed himself, other voices could be heard in the background, "Please... You're the closest to me right now."

"Text me the address," Marlowe flicked on the overhead light, already moving towards her closet as she spoke, "I'll be there as soon as I can."