Chapter 19

I stare at the ceiling in pure boredom. I have often been bored before, but I would usually go and grab a new mission to get my mind off it. I know killing people out of pure boredom isn't the best thing to do and that I am a twisted human being, but money is money. It's not like heroes don't go on patrols when they're bored, they just don't kill people... most of the time. 

     Nezu left around an hour ago and my limbs are starting to become stiff. I try to roll around a little to relieve the soreness. I sigh in defeat and continue staring at the ceiling. Class should be ending soon and the teachers will comeback around that time. At least I got to skip boring classes. 

     A few minutes later, All Might comes in. I groan. I didn't want him to deliver the news. I know it's childish, but I just can't make up with him right now. 

     "Young Nightshade? I'm glad to see you awake. We reached a decision. You will participate without a quirk. This requires a lot of trust. This will be a great way to start your path to redemption. Agencies will notice you and want to take you in. Soon, you will graduate and become a pro hero. Are you excited?" All Might asks. I can tell he is trying to reach me, but I don't want what he just described. 

     "I guess I'm excited to compete against my peers. Though, I don't really care for cameras or crowds."  I admit. I sit up and lay back into the pillows. All Might sits on one of the waiting chairs on the perimeter of the room. He almost swallows the seat with his huge size and all. 

    "What about becoming a pro? You will need to get accustomed to those things." He says with a thoughtful face. 

     "I don't want to answer that." I cut in quickly. What I'm feeling right now isn't something I can just tell anybody. I need to sort that out before I can share it. Maybe Todoroki can help... 

     "Alright. I won't push you." He says as he gets out of his chair. "Recovery Girl is right outside and she just wants to check your health before you can go back to your dorm." I look down at the broken railing and I sigh. I rub it as though I caused it pain. I jump in realization and rub my bare neck. 

     "My... It's off." I say incredulously as i stretch my neck. All Might looks at me wide eyed. I have a small amount of Midnight's gas. I circulate it through my body with a sigh of relief. I look at All Might and the otherwise empty room. I pushed the gas to the point just before releasing. I glance between my hands and All Might rapidly. I drop my hands and fall onto my back. I raise the covers over my head and lay still. I can hear All Might stay for a while before he leaves the room. I tear up and clench the sheets in my fists. Why didn't I escape? I could have escaped. But... I didn't. I stop my traitorous line of thought when Recover Girl walked in.

     "Hello, dearie. You gave us quite the scare. Let me check up on you before you can go back." She says with a honey-like voice. I take the sheets off my head and stare at her. If I had a grandmother, I imagine it would be someone like her. Her face full of wrinkles, though I could tell they were mostly from smiling. I sit up and she feels my pulse. She goes through the normal doctoral practices before nodding. "Everything seems normal. I think you're good to go." She turns around in her swivel chair to enter something in a computer. 

     "Um. Is school over?" I ask nervously. She nods without turning around. 

     "Yes. Classes just let out." She responds. I look out the window and crane my neck to see the first wave of students leave the building in groups. I remember the day I was captured when I was looking at a group of kids my age. I slump at the memory. I wouldn't say I'm an animal in a cage. It's more like I'm on a leash. It may be better than a cage, but all I can think about is the feeling of being free. "Now, let's get you to the dorms." She rolls towards my bed. She dismounts the chair and sighs sadly. "They are going to escort you back." I nod knowing this would be the case.