Part Two

15 Years Later, 2296AD: Wrathfell City's 32nd Precinct

First day jitters had no place when it came to Officer October Hauntings. Instead, sitting in the parking lot, she shined the new emblem on her uniform for the dozenth time in her car's rear view mirror: the insignia of the taskforce, her dream, and her new life's dedication. She did another check of her appearance. The makeup around her violet eyes: clean, modest, and flattering. No bits of raw ham stuck in her fangs from her breakfast. Every dark strand of hair still where she had coaxed it, framing her ashen face.

For the fifth time, she checked her new watch, a congratulatory gift from her father, to make sure she would arrive early- but not too early. Being over-eager had previously earned her a false reputation as a suck-up. But that wasn't her style. October kissed no one's boots, gave no false compliments. She just worked. And worked. And worked worked worked worked worked, until she got where she wanted to be.

Here. The 32nd Precinct. Home of Wrathfell City's only joint task force between both sides, to bring down public enemy number one: to her kind they were the Diseased, and to the humans, they were the Feral.

There- it was 8:52. It would take her roughly three minutes to get to the building's third floor and the bullpen she had visited Captain Hauntings in countless times, making her exactly five minutes early for the briefing. Sighing contentedly into the cool autumn air she stepped from her car and began her paced walk to the front of the building.

Internally, her heart was pounding with excitement. Showing how much she wanted to grin like an idiot would be unprofessional, but inside it was like she was six years old at her cop-themed birthday party again. Other officers, mostly men, mostly far taller than her 5'2", were exiting their own vehicles. Many had hardened faces- dull eyes always focused straight ahead- especially the humans. She understood. They were the food of choice when it came to the Diseased.

Automatically, she began to seek out her fellow Ashen. Pallid skin, vibrant eyes. The task force was 'joint', but they'd be the ones she was with in the field. Hunting. A shiver tickled her spine at the very thought. She was ready. There were no self-appointed gatekeepers to stop her from her dream now. It was just three minutes away.

Turning the corner, she was at the stoop. An officer ahead of her saw her uniform, the iconic jet-black jacket with silver buttons, and held open the door with an easy smile. He was relatively young- maybe even a fellow twenty-something- and had friendly gold eyes. For a moment, she wondered if he'd be her partner.

"Thanks." She exhaled as she reached the top steps, and took the door to hold for the next man behind her. The young guy shrugged.

"No problem." His voice was like the comforting rumble of an old car. As he turned she saw he had pinned his emblem to his shoulder: the two clasped hands on the crimson background were faded, he had been at this for a while. Guess they wouldn't be partnered up.

In step behind him to the elevator, October piled in with several other men. She could feel their eyes glancing down at her, and straightened her back. First impressions all around. After a minute a ding released them all to the third floor, and they flooded out. October allowed a small smile to escape at the sight on her new work home, the bullpen. On her periphery, she caught sight of a pudgy older gentleman at his desk just as he called out.

"Is that you, October?"

Her smile broadened at the neon green eyes of one of her father's friends. "Harry." Winding through chairs and busy feet, she made it over to Harry as he propped a previously injured leg on a wooden block.