Part Twelve

Inside was a narrow staircase that they took to the second floor. "It's just up here..." Jasper had to jiggle the doorknob in just the right direction three times to get it to open, and as he held it aside for October, apologized. "Sorry, it's not very clean."

Honestly, 'not clean' for Jasper meant slight clutter- and she had definitely seen worse. "For a bachelor, you're doing pretty well."

Slipping past her toward the kitchenette he commented. "I think that's a compliment?" As Jasper puttered around finding a glass, his partner stepped deeper into the apartment.

It smelled like him. It wasn't until this moment that she noticed he had a scent, but there it was, spruce and campfires, wrapping around her like a heated comforter. For a moment, all she could think was that she'd love to fall asleep completely surrounded by it.

In an effort to keep her mind moving, she scanned the living room. Lo and behold, upon the wall just above the TV, she located some limited-time memorabilia from a campaign run by the city police about seven years ago.

Smirking, she called into the other room. "Is this a Captain Hauntings poster?"

Hearing Jasper's steps, she turned around to find him cringing, holding out a glass of water. "Well, that's embarrassing."

"No, it's cute." She waltzed closer, and taking the glass, teased. "And also a little weird knowing my father is your favorite superhero."

"He's not my-" Jasper's defense was interrupted by an eyebrow raise, so he started over. "Okay. If I had favorite superhero- which I don't, I'm a grown man who pays bills and kills things for a living- but if I did have one, it might be Captain Hauntings."

Taking a sip October proposed. "I can introduce him to you, if you want."

Jasper's eyes brightened. "Seriously?" For a second, he was so incredibly hopeful that her heart nearly burst.

"Now that was adorable."

Recovering from his fan-boy moment, Jasper straightened up, seamlessly transitioning back into charm. "I think I liked it better when you thought I was handsome."

Glancing away to avoid the heat of his gaze, October shrugged. "You can be both." Then, knowing the full meaning of the promise, she added. "And I can introduce you any time you want, just say the word." That loving smile graced her features once again. "You're my partner."

Jasper smirked, and thumbed behind him. "You've 'got my back'?"

Recognizing the reference, with a small groan October buried her face in her hands. "I still can't believe I made that joke. I just wanted to lighten the mood!"

While she hid her face, her partner cast an adoring gaze over her figure. "Some people could say it was cringy, but you made it cute."

Letting her fingers fall away she confessed. "I think I liked it better when you thought I was beautiful."

Heart-stoppingly serious, Jasper responded. "I do."

October just didn't know how to deal with all the emotion pulsing within her right then- where to put it, what it meant- and instead endeavored to change the subject, stepping away. "H-How is your back, by the way?"

"Doesn't hurt anymore. But there is scarring."

Thankful the intensity had ebbed, she said lightly. "Well, you know what they say-"

"'Chicks dig scars'?" He filled in her 'adage' from last time, nearing her just slightly, with a provocative look dancing across his brow.

Lifting her chin to follow his stare, she smiled. "We do." Looking at his partner then- the way she seemed to lean toward him naturally, how her eyes glanced over his features, the ever closing space between them, he was entirely consumed by the knowledge he could kiss her- and more importantly- that he wanted to. Understanding, however, that this was not something for him to decide on his own, he continued their conversation, stepping toward the couch.

"Why is that, anyway?"

"I don't actually know."

He flopped down on one side of the seat, leaving space for October to join him, but by the edge enough that she could comfortably not, then said. "If it's a 'bad boy' thing, I think my profession kind of cancels that out."

"Not necessarily." October played along, and sat across from him, legs pulled up, elbow on the back of the couch, and chin in her palm. "You could be a reformed bad boy." She suggested.

"Am I?" His red stare bored into her, almost... testing? That face, well, of course he looked like a bad boy but Jasper? She sighed contentedly.

"I think you're just you."

"That's not very exciting." He joked.

"Well that's just a matter of opinion."

"Then what's your opinion?"

October searched the room for a moment in thought, sitting straight, then nestled into the couch, judging her partner with certainty. "I think you're a guy who made the best out of the crappy hand he was dealt. You took horrible experiences and made them your fuel to do good in the world." Lifting a hand to her heart, she grinned. "In my opinion, that's much better than any of those 'bad boys' out there that girls want to save."

Jasper analyzed her sincere smile, finally pointing from his acid burn to his eyes. "You think girls see this and don't want to fix me?"

"They might." October focused on her hands, knowing now she touched a nerve, but bounced back again with honesty. "But those girls don't realize that you're not broken, and you don't need anyone else to come to your rescue."

Her partner's voice gained a playful tone. "To be fair, you've done a pretty good job of coming to my rescue out there."

Smirking, she stretched out her leg to nudge him with her toe. "I could say the same of you."

"We make a good team." Jasper declared, low voice thick with the late hour, and October could feel her body becoming hot as she murmured, head resting against the cushion.

"Maybe someday even the best." The current returned- the pushing, pulling, engulfing need to be near each other- it surrounded the pair, until they were drowning in the realization that they were alone, off-hours, roughly ten feet from a very inviting mattress. Before either could give in, October invaded the silence. "It's getting late."

Needing just a little more time with her, anything at all, Jasper asked. "Want me to run you to your apartment?"

That same excitement returned to her eyes. "If you're up for it?"

"Of course."

After giving him directions, Jasper sprinted them across the west side, a little slower than usual, but enough that October clung to him once more. Finding her apartment, he brought them all the way to the front steps, placing her down on the bottom stair so their faces maintained that intoxicating lack of distance.

Inches away from his lips, October's words came breathy through the quiet air. "Thanks for the ride."

"Anytime." His smile was too knowing, like he'd seen through any poor veiling she'd done of her emotions, but so satisfied, as if maybe he shared the longing. This could be the moment, they both felt it. All they needed was one little lean, and they'd both be falling.

October couldn't handle it, and pulled away, voice high and unsure. "I'll see you in the morning? At work?"

Jasper just grinned, and if she wasn't imagining it, it was a grin that said 'maybe next time'. He nodded to her. "I'll see you then. Goodnight, October."

"Goodnight, Jasper." She whispered, realizing hopelessly that she wanted to do something, for God's sake, even a kiss on the cheek- but her nerves were too fried, and he sped away. 

Updates Mon./Fri. After 4:00PM

Next Update: Friday June 12, 2020!