Part Eleven

Toward the end of the night, still at the back table, Rudy came to a decision.

"Okay, I'll ask her out." While his legs seemed tensed to stand, the entire table watched as he certainly did not.

"Any time now..." Mac prodded, prompting her wife to question.

"Do you need moral support?"

Mac held up her palms. "I'm not getting up."

"You should go with him, Drolden." Jess decided. "You'll just sit at the bar, nonchalant, and when Mindy comes over Wilder will look cooler than if he's sitting there alone."

"I will?" Rudy was now concerned at the thought that he needed someone else, causing Mac to explain.

"Wilder, you're too baby faced to be cool sitting at a bar alone. Drolden could pull it off- he's got that moody, broody thing down- but you'll just look like it's your first time having a drink."

"Mindy knows it's not my first time having a drink!"

"But it's about the energy you give off." Jess wiggled her hands. "Your vibe."

"And my vibe isn't cool?"

Rudy's partner held nothing back. "Your vibe is cool when you're holding a gun, but other than that, I just think you're going to start telling me about your paper route."

"You're great at boosting my confidence, Mac."

Actually invested now, Jasper stood, pulling Rudy along with him. "C'mon, let's go."

They found empty stools by the door, and sat, doing their best to look casual. Rudy leaned on the bar, pensive. "Do I really not seem cool?" The younger man just shrugged. "Damn." Losing the casual battle, he drummed his fingers on the wood, watching as Mindy worked across the room. "She's busy with customers..." Realizing it may be a while, he tried to start up a conversation. "So, how's it feel being a Hunter?"

"Feels good."

"Partnership working out well?"

"October's great."

Sipping his beer, Rudy nodded. "She's a badass, alright." Then he took stock of the few things he'd observed about the guarded new kid. "And you're waiting for the right thing..." Preparing to lay down some covert advice he sighed. "Y'know, Mac's never kind about it, but she's got a point sometimes. Occasionally, you just have to go for it." He pointedly aimed his gaze at October enough to turn Jasper's head, then stretched up in his chair, calling out. "Hey, Mindy. Can I ask you something?"

As Rudy put on a smile that was decidedly not boyish, Jasper noticed October gather her purse and head toward the door. He faced her as she passed.

"You leaving?"

With a smirk she confessed. "Yeah, think I better go before Cooper and Connor convince me to have another beer."

"Calling a cab?"

"Walking."

Jasper went with his first instinct and said, "I'll go with you."

His partner's eyes sparkled. "Really?"

"I wanted to go for a run tonight anyway." Slipping his jacket over his shoulders, Jasper followed October out into the crisp late-night air. The sidewalk had cleared significantly of people, only a few Ashen could be seen traveling down the opposite side of the street. The woman confidently turned left, and her partner strode behind, watching her with a smile. "So the twins seem pretty pumped about having you on the team."