Part Sixteen

Led down a maze of halls, the pair examined photo set after photo set of smiling children with red eyes, surrounded by families of all walks. Maybe, October thought, things were better after fifteen years, and Noah's fate would be a little brighter than her partner's. Finally, they were brought into a windowed room connected to the play-yard, with some scattered toys, and a table with one chair by the outer door, and two by the 'prospective parents' entrance.

The man who brought them there excused himself, and stepped briefly outside to locate Noah. The boy he ushered in was almost unrecognizable to the Hunters.

What a change three weeks had made. His pink human skin had paled to the dingy Ashen shade, and those deep brown eyes that had tugged so intensely at October's heart had a color now indistinguishable from the red of Jasper's. He was quiet, hesitant as he took a seat.

October neared him carefully. "Hi, Noah. I'm October. Do you remember me?" He only needed a glance at her violet irises and caring smile to know the woman, and nodded. Taking a seat across from him, she gestured to her partner, who hung by the door. "This is Jasper, how about him?" Though he spent less time with him, Noah recognized the tall stranger with the crimson eyes. He nodded once more. "We just wanted to come check on you, and see how you were doing."

Studying his own pudgy fingers, Noah responded. "Okay."

"I brought you something." At October's words his gaze shot up, curious. She fished around in her bag, retrieving a picture book. Sliding it in front of Noah, he held it, tracing the image on the cover.

"A dragon book."

"I remember you telling me about your favorite, so I was thinking you might like this one, too." As the boy claimed the present by pulling it to his chest, October questioned. "Have you made any friends here?"

"Yeah."

"That's good! How's your new school?"

Noah thought for a second, before declaring. "It's big."

At this, Jasper's voice joined the conversation. "A lot bigger than back home, isn't it?"

Noah definitely agreed, pulling a serious face. "Uh huh."

"Do you still have to wear the blue uniforms?" October's heart warmed as she could feel her partner letting down his walls. He sat beside her, and tossed a whisper to Noah, like they were sharing a secret. "They're kinda itchy, aren't they?"

A teensie smile tickled Noah's round cheeks. "Yeah." After answering, he was lost for a moment in five year old thought, before finding Jasper's stare. "Did you go to my school?"

"I did. A long time ago."

Then, quietly. "You're like me?"

"Yeah, I am." Jasper watched as Noah scratched the spot on his arm where the acid sunk into his skin. The Hunter sighed, turning his head so the boy could see his own scar. "I was human, too."

Words quivering, the kid asked. "Were they mean to you?"

"Some people were."

Immediately wanting to spring into action, October pressed. "Are other kids being mean to you, Noah?"

With a slight nod he answered. "At school." Jasper placed a hand on October's back before she could continue, as if to say, 'let me'.

"You said you had friends, though, right?"

"Mhmm."

This was the best news Noah could've given, and Jasper passed down advice he'd wished he'd had a chance to use. "Stay with your friends. Even though some kids are mean, your friends will have your back. Those mean kids are stupid anyway."

The smallest smirk, a hint of the way Noah used to be, rose to his face. "You're not supposed to say stupid."

"I'm not?" Jasper questioned playfully as Noah shook his head. "Well, I'll say it again. Those bullies are stupid." The smirk upon the boy's face grew as Jasper continued, grinning. "They're big, dumb, stupid-heads." A giggle bubbled out of the boy, and October thought her heart might just float free from her chest as she glanced between Jasper- with one of those smiles she'd do anything for- and Noah- who was finally acting like a little kid again. Lowering his voice to a conspiratorial level Jasper asked. "Want to know something cool?"

Noah's eyes shined. "Yeah."

"If you're like me, you can outrun them."

The boy bounced in his seat at the idea. "I can?"

"Want me to show you?" Jasper received an excited nod, and with the permission of the worker, the Hunters and the boy went outside into the play-yard.

It was October's turn to wait by the door as Jasper demonstrated a sprint that delivered him all the way across the field in a second. Noah's little jaw was on the ground as he shouted.

"That's fast!"

Jogging back to his side, Jasper encouraged him. "You can be fast too. C'mon."

For the next half hour, October admired her partner as he taught the young boy every trick he had learned over the years for gaining speed. By the end, Noah- on his toddler-sized legs- could run faster than the woman at her best.

Descending the outer steps as evening settled across the sky, October spoke to her partner's light hearted spring.

"Jasper, that was really amazing. You made him feel so much better."

With a broad smile he gazed down at her. "You think?"

Halting on the stairs as sincerity overwhelmed her, she declared. "You'll make a great father someday."

At a stop just below her, Jasper's emotions swelled. "Thank you." Sticking his hands in his pockets he admitted. "That day when we picked him up, you really made a difference, just trying to keep his focus somewhere else." Red eyes shining with honesty he told her. "You'll be a really good mom someday too. If that's what you want, of course."

Beaming, October confessed. "Yeah. It is."

Then, Jasper's eyes lifted over her head. With a gentle touch to her arm, he snatched her attention and pointed back toward the top of the stairs. "Hey, check it out. Over there."

Just leaving the building was the couple from the waiting room, holding the hands of a girl who couldn't have been much older than Noah. They were chattering excitedly, the Turned child between them seeming to be a perfect match for their energy. "Wow. They look so happy." October's hand fluttered to her chest. "I'm glad everything worked out for them. They seem like nice people."

Something deep within the man pulling at his heart, he wondered. "You think the people that adopt Noah will be like that?"

A similar feeling rushed through October's veins as she responded, with a twinge of sadness. "I hope so. He deserves good parents." Shaking off the intensity, she turned back to her partner. "Thanks for coming today, Jasper."

"Are you going to visit him again?"

"I'm thinking a couple times a week, until he gets a new family." Peeking toward him hopefully, she questioned. "Would you like to come with me?'

No longer hesitant or afraid, Jasper grinned. "Yeah. I would."

"Good." October spoke softly, the gentle light of sunset tangoing over the moment between them. After a pause Jasper smirked.

"No kiss on the cheek this time?"

A bashful grin fluttered on her lips as she delivered the softest punch ever to his arm. "Shut up."

Moving again down toward the sidewalk, Jasper proposed. "Want to grab dinner at Kev's before the night shift?"

"That sounds fantastic." October agreed, then added. "Also, coffee. Lots and lots of coffee." Over his shoulder Jasper tossed a smile, and spoke with a tone that would never reveal whether he was joking or not.

"It's a date."

Updates Mon/Fri, after 4:00PM

Stay tuned for the upcoming finale and epilogues!

Next Update: Fri. June 26, 2020