9. Reality

The next day was the day students were supposed to return to school for the second half of the term. My roommate and classmate and friend, Raina never left my side, she just kept going on and on about how I could have rolled over and fallen to my death the previous day.

"I am not leaving your side for today" I couldn't count the number of times she had said that since she found me. It was nice and at the same time annoying to have someone all over me, literally monitoring all of my movements. I had almost burst into laughter when I was headed for the bathroom and she made a move to follow me.

"You can just wait for me at the entrance of the dorm, at least that way you'll be sure I didn't dig up an escape route in the bathroom, and if I did you'd be able to call someone's attention to it before it's too late", I grinned at her pouting face and went on with my business only to come out and see that she had taken my words quite literally. I shook my head and walked past her.

Right now she was reminding me of how lucky I was that she had found me before anybody else had notice I was missing because that would have caused the hostel Masters to lock the door and I would have lost my "sanctuary". I scoffed at the the idea that anyone except her could have been worried by my absence, I had done a good job of keeping people away from me with my grumpy persona and the rest of my friends that knew how much of a softie I could be, had all gone home for the break.

"You have seriously abused your alone-time privileges", she said frowning. I chuckled, "Last I checked, I create those privileges myself, I don't get 'em from you".

"Doesn't matter, you still abused it and I'm not leaving you by yourself until there's a reasonable amount of people that would at least notice you pass by them if you happen to disappear on me again", she said looking very serious with her arms crossed and a growing stern look on her face. I rolled my eyes, "Fine. I think I can survive with you following me around like a lost puppy". She raised her eyebrows and I shrugged and added, "Besides, you're not bad company". I saw a ghost of a smile appear on her face at that.

Having company for the day wouldn't be so bad. I mean I enjoyed the whole feeling of companionship in my triplet fantasy and I do enjoy spending time with my friends. She was no part of me whatsoever but she was around and she was real so that could work out well I guess. We might not have any deep conversation or any gossip to keep our lips busy but we could always have the awkward talks relating to school books and stuffs like that and maybe I might remember some assignment I hadn't yet attended to.

We got to the breakroom/dinning room/reading room for breakfast and she joined the crowd of people waiting to get their share of the meal. I didn't even bother because I wasn't interested in what I was seeing- some gruel made from fermented corn combined with beans pudding. I looked at the serving table in disinterest and turned away. Don't get me wrong, the food wasn't bad to the eyes or even the nostrils but it just wasn't appealing to me and there was no way I would eat that when I had a cereal box in my cupboard upstairs patiently waiting for me.

'Gotta come up with something better to eat later today since I don't plan on having lunch either' i thought to myself as I took a seat in a less crowded area. I shrugged off the thought after deciding there can't be too much cereal for me.

Raina was back to my side lecturing me about not eating and how it could affect my health.

"You could develop a stomach ulcer, you know that right?", I hummed in response barely showing any interest but that didn't shut her up, "Do you even know what that is?" She waited expectantly but I just kept staring at her with a bored and also amused expression. She still continued, "It is not a good feeling", she shook her head as if trying to emphasize how bad it is, "your insides feel like they're on fire and the most you can do is wait it out".

"I'm a very patient person, Raina", I smiled at her and she huffed in response, "That is so not my point. There's just no talking you out of your stupidity right now" she was glaring at me and I was entertained by it, I tried my best to hold in my laughter though.

'Why in the world did I assume we'd have only awkward conversations? This is fun', I thought to myself.

"Just finish your food so I can go eat mine. I'm only here because you wouldn't come downstairs otherwise. Clingy much?". She rolled her eyes and finally gave the food her full attention while I kept staring at her. She squirmed under my gaze so I decided to give her some privacy before she choked on her food, stuck my tongue out at her and put my head on the table using my arms as a cushion. She might be annoying but I didn't want her dying just because she couldn't stand my unwavering gaze and I am not in any way interested in having blood on my hands.

She kicked my foot underneath the table when she was done eating and taking care of her dirty dishes and we went upstairs. While I had my cereal, Raina chatted on after watching me prepare it in silence as if she believed her voice would cause me to loose concentration and make some mistake. I mean, seriously, it's just cereal, what could possibly go wrong?. She started with the obvious fact that cereal wouldn't sustain me till dinner because she knew lunch wasn't my thing and I told her I can always take another batch if I felt hungry, it's never too much. Then she changed the topic to talking about her crush and another thing and another thing, I just sat there watching her rant, humming, nodding or just staring in response and while that might have discouraged someone else, not Raina. The Lord knows how long she's been wanting to talk about those things. My only verbal contribution was when the subject changed to school and books, (yea, I know. I'm a nerd).

By evening, she was certain I wouldn't disappear without a trace so she decided to get off my back, "I'll leave you to brood now. I'm sure you've had enough of me".

"Thank you. I actually had fun with you, you're entertaining".

"That, I am", she grinned and left my side to catch up with some of our classmates that had arrived earlier that day.

**************************************
Uh... Ok. I'm blank

What do you think of this chapter? Let me know in the comments section... 💞