19. Super smart

The two weeks before exams were spent doing a lot of revision on both the teachers' and students' end, completing half written notes, and most importantly taking or retaking of missed midterm assessments. So in other words, it was boring as usual for me and hectic for those that needed the make-up for one reason or the other. I spent most of it sleeping, reading or listening to my friends talk about whatever. Even during the so-called group studying, I only contributed when I was specifically asked a question.

Today was the last day of exams for the term and I was sitting in front of the examination hall revising or in my case, listening to my classmates go over the same thing a thousand times. It was amusing watching them get some things right and jumble up some. I mean, this was not in any way my method of studying unless a I got a late notice for the exam or by some miracle, I forgot. I was always ready at least an hour before the slated time for the paper and most importantly, I never approached an exam venue unless I was certain that my brain was filled enough as far as that subject was concerned. So you can understand why I was amused by the passion they attached to stuffing things into their brains this close to the exam, and to this they were this passionate about my least favourite subject - geography. I shook my head.

Finally, we were asked to move into the hall and take out seats so the exam could begin. I took my time to acknowledge all three of my friends - Saira, Raina and Malik- like I always did to wish them luck. I noticed I had their attention almost immediately I looked in each of their directions like they were expecting it. I guess it was a tradition I had created without knowing it.

An hour and a few minutes into the exam, I was certain I had given it the best of my abilities even though I knew there was no way I would get an A with my so-called best. Maps and the shape of the earth really wasn't my thing. I relaxed in my seat, closed my eyes and registered all the sounds around me - the furious scribbling of several pens on paper, the annoying scraping of chairs on the floor as people attempted to get more comfortable, the cracking of knuckles from different angles of the room, the harsh breathing as if they were in a marathon, the almost inaudible clearing of throats, the impatient tapping and dancing of several feet most likely in an attempt to remember something, the whirring of the fans above our heads, the discontinuous shivering of the glass windows in response to the force of the wind, the almost inaudible gulpings, the chattering of students outside the hall and the footsteps of the invigilators as they moved from one location to another.

'It is weird how well the senses can function when they are delibrately put to use', I thought as I sighed and moved to place my head on my desk. I wasn't exactly ready to abandon this free opportunity of peace and quiet that I found myself in so I inhaled the smell of ink on my booklet, marvelled at how good it felt and allowed my mind to take me wherever until somebody notices me and asks me to submit and find someplace else to sleep in a not very polite manner.

I reflected on all the sounds I heard earlier and how most of them showed just how hard and stressful writing an exam could be. I wondered what life would be like if these people were super smart geniuses that could provide answers to any question without so much as a headache. I thought about how it would feel to be under that kind of spotlight having people almost venerate your presence at every opportunity they get. I imagined the kind of attention it would draw from different angles of the world for many different reasons, most of which will probably be scientists trying to get one to be their experimental subject for as long as humanly possible. I imagined the fact that whoever was in that position would have almost zero privacy or peace of mind because everything ranging from their social life to their biological make-up would be monitored. I shuddered at the images that kept popping in my head and decided that being normal or average sure had its perks.

I heard a consistent tapping close to my ears so I raised my head to see one of the invigilators standing there. He raised his eyebrows, "Are you done?"

"Yes sir" I replied, already preparing to stand.

"Let yourself out then. Most of your mates are out already". I looked around and saw that he was right, I hadn't even heard them standing up. I mumbled a 'thank you' as I got up to hand in my answer booklet. That was not as rude as I had expected.

My friends were already outside and I could smell the excitement rolling off of them as they packed their bags, congratulating other people around. They finally noticed me as I got closer to them.

"I was beginning to wonder how long it would take for someone to notice you", Malik said with a twinkle in his eyes.

"Apparently, not too long" I replied and shrugged.

"Was it that bad?" Saira asked with concern.

"What bad?" I asked nonchalantly, "Girl, we all know I'm neither failing it nor getting an A and I'm totally fine with that".

"You could be better if you at least try to put in a little effort, you know?". Geography was one of Saira's strong points so I knew she was referring to the fact that I didn't bother practising some map reading with her like Raina and Malik did

Raina scoffed, "Don't be ridiculous Saira. You keep forgetting that if she doesn't like it , she doesn't like it, Period." I grinned and have her a side hug .

"What she said".

I picked my bag and twirled around, mock screaming "No more reading for grades people. Freedom at last... Oomph!" I had bumped into somebody that wasn't in uniform. I closed my eyes, staggered back a little before silently whispering, "I'm so sorry, I'm really sorry".

"You can open your eyes now. I don't bite", I visibly relaxed upon hearing the voice of one of the cool teachers in my school. I opened my eyes, gave him a sheepish smile and bent down to pick the pieces of paper I had knocked off his hands.
He collected them from me and walked off with an amused smile on his face. I turned to my friends, registered their attempt to not burst out laughing and pointed at his retreating figure.

"That is why staying grumpy is better for me. I keep my eyes open and I don't bump into anyone" they snickered and Saira moved forward and bumped her shoulder against mine.

"Nah, it's more entertaining when you bump into things". Raina and Malik nodded in agreement as we walked off to nowhere in particular.

**********************************
If you're still here. You deserve a lot of love 💞💞💞💞💞💞💞💞💞💞💞.
I'm so glad you gave this a chance to this extent. Thank you so much.