(6) Focus on me

I spend my Sunday at church with my father and Remi. I tried to hide the fact that I feel terrible today, with a kind smile. I wish I hadn't gone to that stupid party because of what Viper did to me, but at the same time, I would have never met Ace.

Ace... his name just does something to me. My heart flutters, and my mind tells it to stop.

I jump in my seat as I feel a hand on my shoulder. I turn to see its just my father and he looks taken back.

"Why are you so on edge my child. Talk to me. You haven't said a word all day."

I can't tell him what happened. Maby someday but not anytime soon.

"It's nothing father. I'm fine."

He gives me that I don't believe you look but before he can say anything people start piling into the church for mass.

"Father Williams, good morning, I would like to have a word with you before you begin." A sweet older woman smiles up at my father, and he can't refuse.

"This conversation is to be continued Heather." He says in his elegant tone. Before offering the woman a smile and walking away with her.

I sigh and pull my phone out before mass begins, and I see I have a text from Clara.

Clara: [Hey babes, how are you holding up?]

I turn my phone off and decide right now is not the time to be texting. Remi snuggles up by my side and I turn to see her looking at me curiously.

"What is it Remi?"

She tilts her head to the side staring at me.

"Humm... something is different about you Heather? Did something bad happen at that party you went too?"

Gosh, how does this little girl always know? Or am I just that easy to read? I need to improve my acting skills.

"Everything is fine Remi."

"You didn't answer my question Heather."

I give her a warning look.

"Remi... drop it okay?"

She huffs and crosses her arms together looking at the stage. She is so cute, and sweet, but way too young to know my personal life. I hope she will understand when she's older.

The mass begins and I look around to see a few people already asleep, and some young teenagers on the phones. While the majority of people are listening, nodding.

I on the other hand am too distracted to focus on what Father Williams is saying.

Once the mass is over Remi climbs into my car and I drive her back home. Dad always stays in church after mass to speak to everyone.

***

At home I turn on my phone to see I have 4 unread messages. two are from Clara, and two are from an unknown number. I read Clara's message first.

Clara: [Hey if you want, you can come over to my brother's place, and we can watch movies or something.]

Clara: [You're making me feel clingy here. I just feel really bad and want to make sure you are okay before we start work tomorrow.]

Heather: [Hey best friend, did you forget I go to church on Sundays? I'm free now, and I would love to hang with you. I don't wanna be home.]

Clara: [Great, I'm at the gym right now, but come over in an hour okay?]

Heather: [Okay I'll be there.]

I flip to the other unknown message and my heart thumps.

Unknown: [Hey Cupcake, I'm sure my sister already told you, but were having a horror movie night tonight, like we do every Sunday.]