late

snufkin had a feeling he was going to be late, but it was already mid spring! he feared the worst, and almost didnt come, but he did. just to make sure. hed walked, playing his little spring tune, skipping along as the days became nights, and the nights became mornings. it was quite melancholic, he'd think to himself as he strolled, his harmonica tune becoming less of a 'sad at the end' to a 'sad at the middle and end'. he hated coming late. of the long amounts of years he'd come, he'd only be late a few times, and this had been the latest.

his thoughts became jumbled as he noticed the bridge. a slight skip in his step, he played his harmonica as loud as he could, hoping moomintroll would wake from his quick sleep, coming down and smothering him like every other spring. it'd been a bit overwhelming the years before, but this year was different. he didn't know if moomintroll would be mad, or sad, or ecstatic, or something else. he didn't know, and that sense of unknowing kept him playing his harmonica louder and louder, until his throat hurt.

he'd decided that he would quit being sentimental, and approached the door. the moomins never lock their doors! he waltzed on in, seeing the empty living room. "must be asleep.." he mumbled to himself, navigating the stairs upward. "moomintroll? moominmama?" he called, not wanting to invade their privacy, but alas, it was too tempting. he'd stepped up to moomintroll's room door, hesitating a little before opening. he swung the door open, revealing..

nobody there?

why, it was so early! where could they have gone off to? he didn't think about it too much, sitting on moomintroll's bed, swinging his feet back and forth. he hadn't sat on a bed in years! it was so comfortable! "surely, moomintroll wouldn't mind if i took a nap.. right?" snufkin smiled to himself, lying down and pulling himself under the covers, he turned to the side and closed his eyes, having the best sleep he'll probably ever have in years.

he heard a low creak from downstairs, and the door opening. he sat up quickly, smiling widely, but he didn't want to rush down yet, though it was oh so very hard hearing moomintroll's lovely voice fill the halls. he decided he'd play a bit of a prank, pulling himself under the covers once more. he snickered, but only for a second.

the door pushed open, and moomintroll gasped loudly. "snufkin! oh my goodness, you came! i-" moomin had cut himself off, noticing that snufkin was 'asleep.' moomin stepped over to the bed, lightly shaking snufkin. he didnt budge, he shook him a little harder the next time, and then a little harder and- "BOO!" snufkin shouted, sitting up and putting his hands up (zombie finger style). moomintroll yelped, staggering backwards and hitting his closet, knocking a lamp ontop of it down, and onto his head. he groaned. "oh, snufkin, you scared the life out of me!" it was then when moomin had fully realized. "snufkin!" he yelled again, dancing around a bit before engulfing snufkin into a chaotic hug.

"woah, calm down, moomintroll!" snufkin shouted, smiling behind the hug. moomin pulled away, showing his glittering face of tears. "oh, i thought you'd died!" moomin yelled, tears streaming down his face. "wha- moomin, there's no need to cry! im here now, and thats all that matters." snufkin beamed, holding moomin's rosy cheeks in his hands. " and last time i checked, im not dead." moomintroll laughed a bit, pulling away from snufkins hands. "its funny, you always-" he'd cut himself off with a sniff. "you always see me cry, but i dont think i've ever seen you cry!" moomin laughed, tears still fresh on his face. snufkin smiled awkwardly, playing with his hands.

"well, i ought to go for now, but ill talk to you later in the day!" snufkin said, smile fading as he stood up from the bed, grabbing his hat and opening the windowsill. "wait, you can't leave yet!" moomintroll called out. "i mean, it must be more comfortable to sleep in a.. bed..?" moomin tried to convince him to stay, still processing that he was back. was he hallucinating that snufkin was there or something? "yeah, i suppose you're right." snufkin replied, closing up the windowsill and sitting back on the bed. "im sorry for keeping you! i haven't seen you in so long." moomin explained, not wanting to make snufkin feel uncomfortable.

"these feelings are quite big."

"its quite alright, moomintroll. i dont mind staying a little bit."