Getting By

Over the next few days, I spent a lot of time with Ethan, and got back into doing streams. I finally let my emotions and feelings through, and embraced them. I finally felt that I could trust Ethan, and wondered why I'd ever doubted that fact. Now it was Wednesday morning. I woke up, noticing I had a text from Ethan. It said Hey, I was wondering if you'd like to go out somewhere today. I thought for a few moments before texting back. I'd love to. Where? He responded quickly with I know a nice restaurant that sells ice cream. I smiled. I lived for ice cream. I texted back That'd be great. I'd love that. He responded with Awesome, I'll pay. :) and I felt my stomach doing little flips. I set up a time with Ethan- 3pm that afternoon- and then got out of bed to have breakfast. I was smiling when my parents and brother came along to join me at the kitchen table. "You look happy," my mom said as she prepared some breakfast for her and my dad. I nodded, and my dad glanced at me. "What's going on?" I blushed a bit as I explained what was happening later this afternoon. My parents smiled. "Young love." I glared at them, and they chuckled. As I finished breakfast and headed up to my room, I was subconsciously aware of Eric following me. He tapped my shoulder just before I slipped into my room. "Good luck on your date." He whispered in my ear, then made a mad dash downstairs before I could land a punch on him. I rolled my eyes. But as I settled down with a youtube video on my phone, I wondered, this time without any dread, if my brother was right.

~~~~~~~~

That afternoon at 2pm, I started getting ready for my "date". I showered quickly, and then changed into the prettiest casual clothing I could find. I put on a pale blue long-sleeved shirt with the words Très bleu across the front. Over top of that, I put on a fuzzy knit sweater that was a matching colour. I also wore some jet black leggings, and black slip on shoes. I put my hair in a tight ponytail, and put on some sparkling stud earrings. I looked at myself in the mirror, doing a little twirl as I was proud of how I looked. I checked my phone, and saw it was 2:48pm. I'd taken that long to get ready? Ethan said that he'd come pick me up this time, so I went downstairs and waited at the kitchen table. Eric came upstairs from the basement, glancing at me as I waited. "Looking snazzy." He smirked as he opened the fridge, presumably to raid it. I rolled my eyes."Shut up Eric." He snickered as he thundered back downstairs after grabbing a plethora of snacks and junk.
A knock at the door made my heart skip a beat. I got up, took a deep breath, and opened the door. Ethan was there, wearing a red and white plaid shirt, and jeans as usual. I felt my heart skip a beat. "Hey, ready to go?" He asked, and I nodded. We went over to his car, and got on the road.
It wasn't long before we got to the restaurant. We headed inside, and I was surprised at how fancy it was. We got a table, ordered, and awaited the ice cream to be brought to us. I was still looking around, admiring the fanciness of the place, when I realized Ethan was looking at me. I gave him a questioning expression. "Is something wrong?" I asked, and he shook his head. "No, not wrong," he began, and I waited expectantly for more. When it didn't come, I prompted. "And...?" Ethan didn't make eye contact, just shrugged casually as he said, "Just...you look great today." I felt joy spring inside me as he said this, and I smiled. "Why thank you," I said. "You don't look too shabby yourself." He was blushing at this point, and I giggled. Thankfully, our ice cream came right then, and so we just talked about random stuff until we were finished. When we left, we decided to go to this park that was in downtown, that wrapped around a massive lake. As we were walking, I was enjoying the view, and the sunset. Suddenly, I felt something, and looked down as Ethan took my hand in his, lacing our fingers together while we walked. I smiled, feeling happier than I ever remembered feeling before. We walked like this for the rest of the evening, until we got back to the car and headed home.