|| 𝖯𝗋𝖾𝗍𝗍𝗒 𝖶𝗈𝗆𝖺𝗇

||Summary: The Pickwick Club goes over a new play in the making and Laurie finds just how much he'll have to sacrifice to continue to be a part of the club...

• • •

• • •

"Absolutely not."

"But, Laurie, you must..." the sisters had insisted.

"Absolutely not!" He repeated with more conviction, "I am the true male here, surrounded by many wonderful young ladies who could fulfill this role. Why should I be the damsel in this latest play?"

"Because it would be great!" Meg giggled, bouncing gleefully on her toes.

"Because I'm playing the knight!" Jo stated proudly, posing with her new sword that Amy crafted herself.

"Because you'd make a beautiful woman?" Beth tried, hoping it would encourage him to go along with it. Even if she didn't fully believe that Laurie would make that pretty of a girl. More like, incredibly amusing.

"And because it's payback for not getting here soon enough to save me from playing numerous male characters of Jo's..." Amy muttered under her breath, evidently not as excited for exploring the guys' role as Jo had been and still is.

"I refuse. I've considered myself quite lenient here. I've kept many secrets, I've done unspeakable things for each of you, but this is the one thing I refuse to do!" Laurie told them again, sternly.

...but of course in the end, Laurie found himself in a wig and a big frilly dress. Fuss and feathers. Two things he decided right here and now that he hated the worst. But of course the mischievous sisters would have their way with him at the end of the day. How could he have not seen this outcome?

"MUAHAHAHA! Foolish knight! The princess is mine! Once the clock strikes midnight then she will fall into the pit of lava as a sacrifice to the gods!" Meg belted out in an exaggerated dramatic tone, wearing a dark robe and doing her best to pretend as if she wore an evil sorcerer of medieval times.

"Never! I will never let you harm the princess!" Jo growled and aimed her sword at her sister, her shoulders squared. Doing so made her grow by two feet, her confidence and power increasing in such a bold character.

But as one had not continued their part, for a moment, they all were silent. The club members exchanged awkward glances before all sisters turned to Laurie. He heaved a defeated sigh, knowing they were waiting on him to give his line. He cleared his throat then made his voice two octaves higher,

"Oh no! Please save me, handsome knight!" Laurie cried out, flatly as he raised a hand to his head. Probably not the best performance of his career...

But nonetheless, he saw all four girls snicker in amusement at his feminine impression. Their satisfied expressions made his blood boil as he begun to wonder if this whole play Jo concocted was actually a conspiracy just to get him in a dress. Of course they'd get their jollies out of this.

The play continued as Meg and Jo bursted into a fantastic fight, trading choreographed blows with Meg swinging a long wooden stick as a sorcerer's staff while Jo countered with Amy's great, homemade prop.

"Psst. Princess. You're supposed to be crying, in fear for your life." Beth kindly reminded Laurie of the next actions, subtly motioning towards her copy of Jo's script.

If it had been anyone other than Beth then Laurie would have rolled his eyes but instead he sucked it up and gave his best,

"Boohoo. Please save me, my knight. Boohoo."

"And Jo criticizes my acting..." Amy scoffed, earning a glare from her crush.

Meanwhile, Meg and Jo had begun to climb onto the sofa, trying not to squeal and laugh as they wobbled to and fro while continuing their fight scene until Jo did one final jab at Meg's chest, gently knocking her into the "lava" (aka, their pile of red and orange pillows)

"Nooooo!" Meg's shouts slowly quieted, as if she were descending into an actual pit of lava until her character had fallen in. She rolled herself in the blanket, covering herself in the 'lava'.

Beth and Amy popped up from their seats and cried out their "hoorays" that the great, fiendish wizard had been defeated in battle by the hero. Laurie stood up and unenthusiastically pumped his arm up.

"Woohoo. My handsome knight, you have rescued me..." Laurie droned on his next line.

"I suppose I did. All in a day's work." Jo replied with a smug expression, twirling her sword in between her fingers.

"Careful, Jo! It took me two days to paint that!" Amy hissed, only for her worry to fall on deaf ears.

At this point, Laurie had had it. Jo's smug look was the final blow. He was going to get her back for this. And he knew the best way how. Jo's greatest weakness.
He turned to her and batted his eyelashes.

"Surely, there's something I can do to give you my appreciation~" he began to sashay closer to her.

"Huh? T-Teddy, that's not in the script..." Jo whispered to him, backing away from him until she had bumped into the wall, running out of space to get away from him with.

"Let me give you a present to represent my utmost gratefulness..." Laurie grinned before leaning in and giving her a big, fat kiss on the cheek.

This caused all four March girls to erupt into squeals, half of them in surprised delight while the other half were in horror. Amy stomped her foot in fury and violently folded her arms, throwing a brief tantrum at witnessing what Laurie had just done right in front of her. While Meg and Beth doubled over and clutched their sides at the same time, unable to contain their laughter.
Once Laurie had moved away then Jo groaned and furiously wiped her cheek off.

"Gross! Laurie! Way off-script! Laurie!!"

But she was only met with more laughter, as it was now the brunette boy's turn to giggle at her expense before he turned away.

"Now, if you gentlemen will excuse me...I must be off to powder my nose." He told them in his girl voice, pausing a moment to daintily fan himself with his hand before sashaying off to the restroom, exaggerating how a woman walks, his hips thrusting from side to side all too unnaturally, causing Meg and Beth to laugh that much harder, and even get Amy giggling a bit but Jo's face was still as red as a tomato's.

He just messed with the wrong March girl.