|| 𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔓𝔦𝔯𝔞𝔱𝔢 𝔞𝔫𝔡 𝔱𝔥𝔢 𝔐𝔢𝔯𝔪𝔞𝔫

They were the most dreaded pirates ever known in history. No legend or myth could ever measure up to the tales of the sinister Sisters of the Seven Seas. In their day, women were considered bad luck to keep on a boat. But these sisters bring their supposed bad luck to their victims, who they rob of their every penny. They long for nothing but more treasure to add to their collection and just the thrill of the adventure. The salt on your skin, the wind in your hair. That was what fueled them, and none of them more than the first mate Josephine March. Of course there was the exception of Beth who would often pray for God's forgiveness after every raid. Amy just enjoyed the pretty things she got to look at, and how she was able to take care of it all. All the while, Captain Meg led them all with fearlessness and bravery in every situation they faced, each escapade more dangerous than the last.

But even after all their experience and adventures, who could have anticipated they'd find something worth more than they'd ever found before? More prized than any other lost jewel in the sea, and twice as rare. A merman. The merfolk in legend were often rumored and dismissed as nothing more but the results of brief bouts of insanity. When sailors are left alone without loving company for such a long time, they begin to hallucinate attractive, aquatic creatures in the water. Surely that's all these supposed creatures could be...right? Surely only fiction.

That's what the sisters thought before they found what was originally "a very large fish" (according to Beth) who was fishing with Jo for food. That's when they caught...him.

"Out of my way, sisters. Let me look upon our new stowaway!" Meg commanded, stomping forward before squinting at the fishing nets that held a shivering merman.

'Worried' didn't even begin to describe the fear that ached inside him.

"Woah there! Do be careful, everyone! Take great caution! The lad could try to bite you!" Warned Beth.

The merman had a very thin frame and he was pale, meaning he didn't come to the surface that often. His stormy sea green eyes darted around frantically at the human women around him as he held himself, rubbing his arms to warm up. Also, to cover himself a little, feeling a bit awkward at the way all these clothed scalawags goggled at him.

"He'd make us a pretty penny, aye?" Amy smirked, only interested in all the riches he could grant them if they sold him to a group of scientists or whoever just held the most money.

"Have you no shred of morality left in you, sister? Just because we dedicate ourselves to being outlaws exiled to the sea, it doesn't mean we have to behave solely as cruel beasts." Jo argued before taking out her dagger to cut a hole for the boy to slip out of.

"Have you gone mad, Jo?! He'll attempt an escape!" Meg hissed, "If the legends are true then he should develop legs as soon as he is all but dry!"

"He's used to the ocean, Cap'n. Look at his skin. His skin be whiter than alabaster. I doubt he'll even know how to use his spare legs once he's got them. Isn't that right, fish boy?" Jo taunted, briefly holding his chin to make him look at her.

The boy's eyes briefly met hers before he jerked his head back from her grip. If that wasn't enough, he sent her a glare. His silent warning to back away from him. Only his gaze was enough to say, 'don't touch me.'

"Ooh, fish boy has a little fight in him. I don't trust him. Legs or no legs, I want him tied up and kept where someone can see him. Merfolk can play a lot of tricks on humans. Some can even lure sailors to their deaths just with the call of their song. We need someone who is least susceptible to the charms of the opposite sex....Jo! You'll be put in charge of him. Make sure he doesn't do anything...fishy." Meg ordered.

"Aye, aye, Cap'n. But I still find the pun unnecessary..." Jo rolled her eyes and tried to hide an amused smirk before easily cradling the slim boy in her arms and carrying him to his new quarters. 

• • •

Because of his slender and delicate frame, it was easy to find the boy some clothes of Jo's that he'd be able to fit into. After the merman had dried and developed legs then he was dressed into a puffy white button-up, an ebony colored vest, and dark grey loose trousers. He was chained up to the wall by his wrists so he couldn't try to break free.

The sisters assumed that maybe he couldn't speak, as he hadn't made a peep since he arrived on board.
Jo visited him after dinner to see if he was hungry.

"I'm not 100% certain as to what your like prefer to eat, but I assumed we'd share the same tastes as you are partly human like us. Plus, both humans and fish eat fish so here we are." Jo set the plate down so he could look at it first. But he just blinked at the display of food with disinterest—or perhaps it was suspicion.

"Now, now. Don't be so picky with me." Jo plopped down to sit in front of him and folded her legs in the criss-cross applesauce way, "These are the best we could do for now. Not as if we have access to five-star restaurants or taverns out in the sea.
"Besides, it is not poisoned if that is what you're afraid of. We need you alive, you see. Although, we pirates are well known for our trickery, why would we poison you when we could've gutted you long ago? You really should eat. You look rather hungry."

"How do you suppose I eat when my hands are bound the way they are?" The boy had spoken his first words since coming onto the boat.

"With a mouth like that on you, I can tell you and I are going to be good friends..." Jo smirked at the sass he had used with her so boldly before picking up the fork to lift it to the boy's mouth, helping him to eat.

Maybe they would become unlikely friends after all.

• • •

"You know, Jo, I was excited when I heard we'd be doing a play about pirates and mermaids. I thought I was going to be the pirate.." Laurie pouted after having read the script to her latest play for them to reenact.

The young author, often known for her unconventional tropes, laughed at his reaction. As she beamed with pride, she replied, "You should've known me better than that, my boy."