A MISTAKE: 6

EMMA

I was heading out of the academic building when Warren blocked my way. It’s 6pm and there were no students around so it’s silent outside.

“Hi.” I greeted him cheerfully first as he smiled back at me.

“I need to say something to you.” Warren shyly stated. I don’t know the reason why though.

“Sure, go ahead.”

“I think I like you…” My smile slowly faded, “Ever since that day when we first met, I haven’t really forget about you. I keep on thinking about you…”

I was speechless with his sudden confession.

“Will you date me?” Warren looked so sincere as he looked at me.

I opened my mouth but no words came out.

How can I do this? How can I tell him that I don’t like him without hurting his feelings? He’s my friend and I don’t want to hurt my friends.

“Will you date me Emma?” He asked again, nervously.

I can’t afford to look at him in the eye so I looked away.

“I-I have a boyfriend.” I lied.

“Really?” I glanced at him and I saw pain all over his face. “I didn’t know that.”

“E-Ethan’s my boyfriend.” I shamelessly spat those words.

How I wish that he is my boyfriend.

“Oh, I see.” Warren turned his head to the left and looked away. He looks like he was about to cry.

“I’m sorry I-—“ I wanted to console him because of my lies.

“It’s alright. I’m alright.”

There was a chilling silence looming all over us but it was interrupted when a phone rang.

I looked at Warren but he just looked at me since he thought it's my phone that's ringing but it's not. Then whose phone is it?

I looked around but no one's here except us until I looked at the balcony of the second floor and saw Ethan standing, talking to his phone.

Did he hear all that?!

Oh my gosh this is so embarrassing!

Without a second thought, I ran away. I ran away from the school, ran away from Warren and ran away from Ethan.

Why does he need to be there? Why is he there? Was he eavesdropping? Did he hear it all? Oh my God I’m so stupid!

~^*^~

E

THAN

“I-I have a boyfriend.” I was stunned by what Emma said. I didn’t know that she’s in a relationship.

“Really? I didn’t know that.”

I was watching the two of them from the 2nd floor balcony of this building because I need some fresh air.

“Ethan’s my boyfriend.”

My mind went blank when I heard her mention my name. Me? Her boyfriend?

How I wish that she is my girlfriend.

I do like Emma. She’s cute and adorable. She’s bubbly as well. I didn’t have any interest at her in the beginning but as time passes by, I find her lovable. But I can’t keep my head straight on why did she lie to Warren. And using me as her cover up.

My phone started ringing loudly and I had a hard time searching for it because I forgot which pocket I slid it in.

When I finally found it, I picked up the phone and answered it.

“Ethan where are you? We’re outside the cafeteria, we’re waiting for you.” June complained in the other line.

I glanced at the ground floor but I didn’t saw Emma anymore. She disappeared. Warren was left alone who was smiling bitterly at me.

“I’ll be there.”