Twelfth

Being in school was Elliot's only effective distraction from all the problems back at home. However, during all of the classes, the child couldn't even concentrate at all, since he could only think of Dad. The child stiffened on his seat as he imagined his father breaking down in front of his very eyes. No matter how hard he shook his head, the flashbacks would still reappear.

For the night, Elliot decided to accompany Dad again, who instantly passed out in Elliot's tiny embrace. It was odd, as the last day before, it took him some time before he managed to fall asleep. He was laughing and crying too, but this time, he was merely hiccuping and sniffing.

Regardless, the next morning, Dad simply resumed with his daily activities. He brushed off his son's questions as if nothing happened, exactly like yesterday. It seemed that... he had forgotten about all of those strange things he had done. Even if he was finally eating a slice of bread for breakfast, it didn't relieve Elliot in the slightest. I don't know if Dad really forgets or he just doesn't want to talk about it...

It was recess now, and most of his classmates were playing tag in the playground. Meanwhile, Elliot sat down on the swing, pushing it back and forth. He quietly watched as the kids sprinted all around the place, trying to avoid getting caught by the 'it's. He listened to all of their joyful screams and laughter, making him wish that he was feeling free like them.

Well, they had invited him to join, but he decided to stay out of it. Surely he wanted to have fun with his friends and just cast away all of his problems, but something was holding him back for no reason. He momentarily stared at the snow below him, before he shut his eyes, feeling the cool breeze hitting his face.

I wish I can be happy like them...

"Elliot?"

Elliot silently gasped at the sudden call and nearly jumped out of the swing. However, he controlled himself and quickly pushed all of his ugly thoughts aside. He snapped his head towards the source of the soft voice, which came from none other than his best friend, Shanice. He could hear the snow crunching underneath her boots as she quietly approached him.

Elliot was one of the boys that Shanice had grown fond of, besides Andrew. Never did they make fun of her obsession of comics and video games. Heck, they would always read and play together after school, even during the weekends. Elliot was also one of the kindest friends she had ever met, so seeing him all gloomy and unhappy... it just felt so off for her.

Shanice decided to quit the game early so that she could talk with him and maybe figure out what was troubling him.

"You've been looking upset since the morning," she started as she plopped to the swing next to him, "are you okay?"

"Ah, well, I'm fine!" Elliot immediately answered, as he forced himself to smile, "I'm just not in the mood of running today."

"Why not?" Shanice raised her eyebrow, "you're usually the one that's always excited about it! Also, you're one of the fastest boys in the group, so it shouldn't be that bad."

"Yeah, I guess so, but I'm just not feeling it..." the boy muttered under his breath as he decided to stop the swing with both of his legs. Honestly, Elliot didn't didn't want to worry his friends even more, especially when they didn't know what exactly happened. However, he couldn't seem to find the right words, which in turn made the girl even more concerned.

"Is it about your dad?"

At the unexpected question, something struck Elliot's chest, like some sort of sharp pain. He felt tingles all over his skin as he tightened on his spot. There was a heavy feeling in his stomach as he simply lowered his head. Well, the boy couldn't build up lies anymore, since Shanice seemed to have gotten the clue and she was somewhat aware of his condition.

"Yeah..." Elliot admitted as he crossed his arms over his chest, "he's been really sad lately, and I'm just worried about him."

Obviously, there were actually more than that, but the small blondie refrained himself from speaking about it.

"Hmm... that explains it..." Shanice nodded, "you know, you can try making your dad happy. I'm sure he'll be fine later! Like my mom... she used to be really sad about something, but I always try my best to cheer her up, and it works well!"

Obviously Elliot had been aware about this. He had been striving to impress Dad and make him proud, but that didn't go so well for him either. Nonetheless, he knew that Shanice was trying to help him with his situation, so he simply cast her a small smile as well as showing some gratitude, "thanks Shan..."

"Also, if your dad's not feeling well, I don't think you should ask him about our project..." she scratched his cheek, "well, if he's good enough, you can, but I think reading books in the library is enough."

Needless to say, Elliot didn't even think about doing that just yet, especially with all the things happening yesterday and the days before. He was about to discuss further with his friends, but Shanice seemed to be understanding, which was really awesome. I'm glad I could be friends with her.

"I was thinking the same too," Elliot murmured.

"Oh, I almost forgot! You can talk about your dad to Ms. Fairchild! She's so nice and kind to everyone," Shanice further added, "she even helps me when I have problems of my own, so she can definitely help you!"

Elliot was pretty much considering that option for some time. He really wanted someone like her to help him out somehow, but he was heavily reluctant around her, especially with her strange appearance.

"Well... I was kinda planning about that too," Elliot impishly laughed, "but I've always thought that she's weird... I mean... she's nice but she has this strange hair and eyes that I don't really like..."

Shanice playfully slapped his back, causing him to flinch, "haha, that's what Drew always thought, but when he talked to her, he changed his mind. She might look weird, but she's real friendly once you get to know her!"

"Well..." the boy looked away, "maybe I'll do that if I feel good..."

Even with all the encouragement he got from Shanice, Elliot still couldn't get over the odd vibes Ms. Fairchild was giving out. Her kindness and friendliness with the other kids didn't seem to move him in the slightest. Sure she was the school's counsellor, but other than being strange... she probably wouldn't understand Dad's condition.

I can't just trust her...