Twenty Seventh

Ms. Fairchild wasn't sure if visiting Elliot's home was the proper way to address the issue. Her muscles constricted right off the bat as regret slithered into her mind, her guts screamed at her for not reconsidering her question. Her ribs recoiled at the pounding of her heart as she watched the child swallowing his breath and his expression turning white.

He broke his gaze away, hanging his head and staring at the floor below him. He was clenching and unclenching both of his hands, and for a second, the purple-haired woman thought he was literally quaking in his boots.

Despite the pressing question, there were no alternative ways other than reaching out what currently happened in Elliot's household. The counsellor's mind had been filled with nothing but the small blondie's condition ever since he broke down. Her concerns swelled up even more when he told her his father had been acting so weird and crying a lot. There can be only one thing that leads to that... and it's gonna be one dangerous environment for a kid like him.

Moreover, when she questioned him more about it, it was obvious he was trying to cover up the truth. He was hesitating so heavily as he was answering her, and he was perpetually fidgeting both his hands and legs, which raised Ms. Fairchild's suspicion bars further. No child should be this nervous. It's like... he's probably forced by his father not to tell anyone. It's all making sense now.

But Evren, is this really a wise idea? The teacher gripped her jaw as more muses came rushing in like an angry flow of river. You're making the child uncomfortable, especially when you merely know each other for a couple of days. You haven't even interacted much with him, and you probably haven't gained his trust! Why are you asking-

"... Sure!"

Huh?

It simply took two words from Elliot that sent Ms. Fairchild into thinking that her ears were playing tricks on her. Bringing herself back to real life, she glanced down at the boy, who was now gazing fixedly at her. His brown pools briefly blazed, his lips even if all parts of his tiny body were on the edge. He had his lips tightened, and his brows drew to the center of his forehead.

"We two can visit my house after school!" Elliot exclaimed, brimming with nothing but complete confidence. "And then you can see he's doing just fine!"

This is just... unexpected. How come this child is so brave? Ms. Fairchild blinked twice, still struggling to register what caused the boy to act this way. However, when a moment of epiphany washed over her, the confusion flowing through her began to fade off. Well I mean... I guess it's not a wrong move after all... I can check if his dad's really going astray of his own son.

"Okay then," she breathed, "when school's done for the day, come to my office, okay? Then we both can get to your home together. Do you know where your house is, Elliot?"

"Yes, I know!" Elliot proudly said, smacking his chest. "My dad used to tell me that it's very important to memorize the... um... address!"

"That's so awesome!" She praised him, clapping her hands together. "I guess your dad is a good man and raised you well."

"He truly is!"

This child... he sounds really mature compared to the other kids... She couldn't help but to chuckle, but there was another thought that instantly cut her down. But... matured kids always make me worry for some reason...

On the other hand, the little boy kept his eyes on his teacher, who seemed to be lost in her own mind again. Despite the constant hunches of Dad relapsing, he found himself casting off all those doubts away. He subsequently recalled all the times he had spent with his father recently, where they both, at long last, managed to properly spend their moments.