Sixteenth

After the interactions he had with Ms. Fairchild, Elliot's negative perception of the school's sole counsellor quickly changed.

Instead of shying away around her presence, the child started enjoying how gentle and soft she was with him. He felt a pull towards her, as if she was some sort of a magnet taking a form of a person. The way she showed her kindness and how she listened in without putting him down were enough for Elliot to be comfortable with her.

During his way home from school, the small blondie couldn't stop thinking about how wrong he was about Ms. Fairchild. He leaned against the windows, remembering all the memorable moments he had spent with her. 

"If you still need any help, just come up to me, okay? I'm usually in my office... but if I'm not, you can ask a teacher to look for me." 

Elliot recalled how happy Ms. Fairchild was as she gladly offered her help. He agreed without hesitation, although it felt weird that someone, who he never talked with until now, was suddenly concerned about his current condition. It wasn't just that but it seemed that she wanted Elliot to talk more about Dad, and even advised him to keep an eye on him. She's so caring... maybe that's why everyone likes her so much.

He, though, never disclosed his father's addiction with beers, but at least he was able to pour his heart out without being judged. It enabled him to think more clearly, and helped him focus more during the rest of the classes, as well as assisting his friends with their science project. Thoughts about Dad still came up to his mind, but now, he embraced them as if they were a part of him.

As Elliot hopped out of the bus and strolled back to his house, he anticipated Dad to be waiting for him. As expected, he was there, slumped on his chair, but as the child drew closer, he noticed something out of ordinary. There was another man alongside Dad on the porch, and had his arms crossed as he glanced down at him.

Who's that...? Why is he with Dad?

Elliot gulped as he started sneaking towards them, even though the loud crunches of snow was a dead giveaway. Despite this, the men were still unaware of the child's arrival, as they were focused on each other. Upon further inspection, a sense of familiarity ran through Elliot as he observed the man's thinning black hair with some streaks of white, hinting his old age. It's like I've seen him somewhere before...

When the man's appearance ultimately grew visible, Elliot immediately stopped on his tracks. He noticed how the wrinkles on his face were exactly the same as the man who had been delivering their food.

Mr. Zheng.

Elliot couldn't contain his smile as he was on the verge of greeting him, but it quickly turned upside down when he realized that Mr. Zheng was no longer the jolly uncle he once knew. His eyes that used to contain so much warmth, now glinted with menace as he shot daggers at Dad. He had his brows furrowed, accompanied by one of the deepest frowns Elliot had ever seen. 

His heart promptly clenched, since he had never seen Mr. Zheng that furious before. He had always been all smiles and a happy-go-lucky person no matter the situations he was in. He would always laugh it off as if it wasn't something big to deal with, but now... there he was... exasperated beyond belief. Not to mention, Elliot could hear that he was shouting out something.

"So tell me then, Lawson... how long have you been like this?" Mr. Zheng exclaimed, "do you even realize you had a child in tow?! A fucking child! He's barely grown up! He deserves all the love and attention, but here you are, wasting your life on alcohol instead of taking care of your son. I doubt you're even sober right now... my God, I can't... ugh, you're beyond help!"