Twenty Ninth

Elliot had completely lost track of his senses as the world spun fast around him.

His thoughts had been mostly a major train wreck, as they entirely went rampant and clobbered against the walls of his skull. Of course, they were the masterminds behind all of the acute pain that had been viciously stabbing through his brain. Maybe, that was the reason why he didn't have a clue how many hours — perhaps even days — had passed since Dad disappeared from his watch.

In the midst of the pounding headaches, his tear glands had shrivelled and weren't functioning properly, consequently leaving the boy with swollen reddened eyes. They stung with pain, but he continued rubbing them despite his counsellor's warnings.

Through his cloudy vision, he could barely discern the ceramic floor beneath him and the white walls surrounding him, which contained doors leading to some rooms where his father was supposedly treated and taken care of. All sorts of murmurs and footsteps echoed throughout the hallway, as people in coats ambled and strolled past him, somewhat bearing resemblance to Dad when he was working.

The purple-haired woman then explained that those people were the ones that would be helping Dad recover from his sickness. She proceeded to tell him further that they were trying their best, but Elliot didn't care hearing about them. All I want is just to see Dad... I wanna be with Dad... I don't want him to be taken away from me...

Please... be okay and wake up Dad... Elliot sobbed quietly as he squeezed his eyes. I need you... please don't leave me alone...

Ms. Fairchild, on the other side, firmly cuddled the shivering child within her embrace, as if he was a precious vulnerable gem she shouldn't let go. She had been caressing and massaging his back, constantly trying to reassure him that Dad was going to be alright, but the child simply leaned against her, deprived of any energy. Thank God we managed to make it on time, otherwise... I don't even want to imagine it.

The old man, now she knew as Mr. Zheng, had been perpetually shifting his positions. One moment he was sitting down, shaking his legs, fidgeting his fingers and fiddling with his jacket, and the other moment he abruptly shot up from his spot, restlessly pacing back and forth. He also had been crossing and uncrossing his arms, running his hand through his tousled white hair, while his expression slowly darkened in trepidation. Furthermore, she had been listening to all of his incessant loud sighs and hasty breaths.

Ms. Fairchild had advised him to stay put, but her efforts were downright inefficacious, so in the end, she zipped her lips shut. Besides, she would end up being a hypocrite; if she were in his shoes, she would have done a similar thing. I don't blame him though...

"Evren, that's your name, right...?" Mr. Zheng interrogated out of the blue, and the way her name left out of his mouth promptly snapped Ms. Fairchild out of her reverie. She then glanced at him as he started, "I seriously couldn't thank you much for being with Elly and staying with him... I really owe you lots."

"Ah, it was nothing much, really," Ms. Fairchild dismissed as she simply returned him with a ghost of a smile, "I was just checking on Elliot because as a counsellor, I've been concerned about him and his father over these past few days so I-"

"You're one of the rare counsellors who genuinely cares about the kids," Mr. Zheng mumbled, cutting off her words, "if only there are lots of people like you. They almost always never gave two shits, only cared about money and fame."

"Sir, there's a child around," Ms. Fairchild reminded, peering towards Elliot, who blinked as he quietly listened to their interactions.

"Oh, um... I'm sorry... I got carried away..." the man apologized, "it's just that I always see-"

"I'M ASKING YOU, WHERE IS MY SON?!"

A thunderous scream resounded throughout the entire vicinity, which interrupted everyone from their respective conversations, Mr. Zheng and Ms. Fairchild inclusive. They fell into a deep silence as their heads simultaneously turned around to the particular room, where the source of the voice originated from.

With aghast looks on their faces, they listened in to the heated argument happening just behind the door while the sullen atmosphere thickened.

"Sir, I need you to calm down! We still need to check your vitals-"

"ANSWER MY GODDAMN QUESTION!"

In just a heartbeat, Elliot regained all of his composure as reality came slamming back into him like merciless waves. Without thinking much, the child already recognized the unmistakable voice... the one that used to be harsh and sad for a few weeks, before it grew more placid and caring around him after several turns of events. The one who had always made him feel comfortable and safe, regardless of the tone.

Dad!

Mr. Zheng and Ms. Fairchild stood frozen in their spots, giving Elliot the perfect opportunity to snake off her grasp. With the abrupt surge of energy pumping through his veins, the boy jumped off the bench and scampered towards the room, not caring about all the boring gazes on him. Dad, he's awake!

"DAD!!!" Elliot cried out, ignoring his counsellor and Mr. Zheng's calls while the two adults pursued him.

"Sir, your son will be here shortly, but we may have to ask you to calm-"

"NO! I NEED TO SEE HIM RIGHT NOW!"

"DAD! I'M HERE, I'M HERE!!!" Elliot yelled out as he firstly struggled to reach for the handle, but with some tiptoeing, he gradually managed to pull the door. It never crossed his mind that opening it required lots of energy as it was heavy, but the determination to see his father again... it fuelled him up.

As Elliot came bursting into the room, the first thing he saw was these same people in coats, who were all distracted by the unexpected arrival of the child. They were all holding some strange objects in their hands, but he never bothered figuring what they were because in the middle of them all, there was Dad, now all awake and dressed with some strange pajamas or something similar.

Then, there was just Elliot and Lawson, nothing else mattered to them. They gawked at each other, scrutinizing their appearances, as if they haven't met each other in a while. Well, for the former's case, it was painfully a long time, especially when he apprehended the fact that horrifying things could happen with Dad had he not stuck around.

"Els..." Dad whimpered, where Elliot realized he was calling him by his nickname from back then, before that stupid divorce happened. Then, all kinds of emotions just came crashing in like a truck, he couldn't even register what he was currently feeling.

Lawson couldn't longer resist back the tears pooling in the corner of his eyes. When it ultimately escaped and slipped down his pale cheeks, his son scurried further into the room. He slipped through the doctors and the nurses before they could even protest. And then, the next thing he knew, the boy had his tiny arms wrapped around his father's body.

"Dad..." Elliot croaked, "I miss you..."