Chapter xiii

Nothing was easy after the time bomb she had been protecting for far too long finally exploded in her bare hands. Getting up in the morning to make it to work on time was the hardest thing, at night sleep avoided her and during the day it chased her each passing second. All energy had abandoned her body and the absence of focus was taking a toll not only on her but on her job. The harder she tried to bury herself in work the more she seemed to mess things up in the theatre, they were small slip-ups but she was growing frustrated. It was all in an effort to not think about the self-inflicted pain of the awful 'break up' and the constant thought of Harrison being hurt. She knew she shouldn't worry for him, he was strong and with friends that had his back, the girl knew he'd be alright.

The awareness didn't make it any less painful, though. Each breath she took seemed to hurt, she could barely stomach enough food to keep her going, it was the worst she'd felt in a long time. The heartbreak didn't compare to the past ones. In the past, she had her best friend by her side holding her close and comforting her throughout the grief, but this time around she had no one, so she swallowed her hurt and bottled it all in. 

Bright sun rays filtered through the opened window of her flat, curtains drawn back allowing blinding sunlight to seep through her living room. The lovely freshness of the spring midday mixing up with the smell of her mother's cooking filling the small place was slowly lifting up her spirit just a little bit. Conversation flowed out of her mum but y/n was too busy roughly tiering a couple of mint leaves to pop inside the big jug with freshly squeezed lemonade sitting in front of her. The noise of her buzzer going off was what pulled her away from the trance the circling ice cubes had put her in.

With heavy limbs, she strode to the front door and clicked the intercom stuck to the wall. "We've got a delivery for y/n y/l/n." The person down stairs said with a robotic voice, the girl gave them a simple approval and buzzed them in even though she was sure she hadn't ordered anything in the past week or so. She waited by the door barely hearing her mother ask who it was.

"Um, a delivery," She shrugged a shoulder and opened the door when there was a knock. "Hi." The girl greeted the young man that didn't look like he worked for any Post office, he wasn't wearing a uniform or a badge and he didn't make her sign anything, he just handed her a black clothes bag with a hanger inside. He left her with instructions of getting it out of the bag as soon as possible as to not wrinkle the fabric at the bottom. "Okay, thank you." Y/n said politely, holding the long bag as high up as she could while she closed the door when the guy turned on his heels.

"What did you order?" Her mother asked from over her shoulder, making the girl flinch a little at the suddenness of the voice by her ear. The older woman's hands came to rub y/n's shoulders soothingly as they both stared at the bag with a tiny envelope taped to it, the girl's name handwritten on it.

"Nothing that I can remember." Y/n was still confused, wrecking her brain for an explanation for what just arrived at her door.

"Well, open it! C'mon." The woman encouraged cheerily, taking the hanger out of y/n's hand and walking to the opened window, hanging it on one of the panels. "Here's the note." She was too excited in drastic comparison to y/n, who was still taken aback. Her fingers fumbled with the small envelope, ripping the glued flap apart to retrieve the note inside it and letting her pupils read over the letters.

« We finished your dress! Hope you like it. All fees have been covered by your boyfriend, hope you don't mind that he gave us your address. Best wishes Dianne. »

Read the note and y/n's heart both rushed and dropped, her face lifted to be met with the view of the beautiful dress already out of the bag. Her mother's gasp made her blink out of the shock, "Oh my goodness! Darling, it's so beautiful!" The woman exclaimed, hand cupping her cheeks as a huge grin took over her face. "Who sent it?!"