Chapter 4: Loopholes

Kat walked quickly down the street with her arms wrapped around herself, telling herself not to cry. Nex was right behind her and she wanted nothing more than to turn around and punch him. She didn't get the part and the last thing she wanted was him pestering her.

"Kitten," Nex said, walking alongside her and catching her arm to make her stop. "That audition was bullshit. Just let me kill Ashley," he said, gesturing back to the general direction of the theater. "She's a cock-sucking bitch, anyway. No one will miss her. Except the director and whoever else's cock she sucks to get what she wants."

"Ew! Oh my God!" Kat said, covering her ears. "What is wrong with you??" She hissed, yanking out of his grip and continuing down the street.

"You know that's all it is, don't you?" Nex said, catching up easily. "She was practically flashing her tits at him and I could smell him on her. She didn't fuck that preppy boy you have eyes for, she fucked the director."

"Do you have to talk like that?" Kat whined, wrinkling her nose. "Geeze."

"Don't tell me you're offended by the word 'tits'. You have some, how can that be offensive?" He said, gesturing to her breasts.

"Seriously," Kat stopped and turned to him, poking his chest angrily. "Shut up. I can't take it. You're so annoying and abrasive. Just go away and let me have a few minutes to be sad, is that really too much to ask?"

"You want to be left alone, I want to go home, the very simple solution to this is to let me kill Ashley," Nex shrugged.

"I hate you," Kat hissed, turning and walking away.

"I don't care that you hate me, kitten. I care that you give me a fucking name already," he groaned.

Kat ignored him and walked into a grocery store. She was surprised to not hear him speak again but as she glanced around, she found he wasn't following her anymore. Sighing in relief, she grabbed a basket and started loading it up.

It was moments like these she wished she could buy alcohol but she had two more years. So, instead, she stared at the wine her mom used to get longingly before moving on and grabbing a frozen pizza. Normally she wouldn't buy that but she was too sad to not have some carbs. But even carbs made her feel guilty so she got a frozen pizza with cauliflower crust.

The truth was, even if Ashley had slept with the director to get the part, Kat had messed up. She froze up and stuttered on her words. Every practice she'd done beforehand went smoothly but having Ashley sitting on the side with a taunting smile messed with her more than she wanted to admit. So even if it was being judged fairly, she still wouldn't have made it.

Kat actually made it home without seeing Nex again. She was starting to grow suspicious so when she got home she carefully peered inside. It was silent. She moved through the house and looked around but he wasn't anywhere to be found.

Setting down the bag of groceries, she ran into her bedroom to find pajamas and change before he appeared again. She slipped on leggings and another sweater, breathing a sigh of relief when she didn't see Nex once she was done.

Kat went to the kitchen and turned on the oven before putting the groceries away. She slid the pizza into the oven and then reached for the cabinet, grabbing her mug. Except a hand locked around her wrist, keeping her from pulling the mug out.

"Based on how incredibly uptight you are with everything else, I doubt you'll want to use a mug to drink your wine," Nex said.

It wasn't until then she felt him pressed against her back, his arm coming over hers as it stayed locked around her wrist. She stopped breathing momentarily and focused on restarting her heart.