035

I shot up from my position behind the chairs, aiming my gun at the man that stood in the middle of the room. My eyes locked with the two familiar brown orbs staring back at me, and underneath the golden light in the Gallery, standing there in his 127 mission gear, he looked almost unrecognizable. "Mark?" I said, completely in disbelief as I stared at the man who used to be my friend. He stood completely frozen as he looked back at me, barely blinking as his eyes moved to the gun that I was aiming straight at his head. "What are you doing here?" I sneered, remembering our last meeting. But then it hit me. He couldn't have come alone, and if he was here, then that meant that the eight other members would be somewhere in the palace as well. We were outnumbered. Massively outnumbered, considering how there were also guards that we had to avoid. "What are you doing here?" I asked again, emphasizing each word as I took a step closer to the man.

"I'm here to help," Mark said, keeping his eyes trained on the gun in my hands as he slowly raised his arms in front of himself in a gesture that suggested he wouldn't fight back. "Help my ass," I said, taking another step closer to him, my eyes landing on the half-open door for a moment, the light from inside the gallery flowing out into the dark hallway. Mark was an idiot. "I'm serious, y/n, but you have to trust me," he said. I scoffed at his words, stifling a laugh at the ridiculousness in his claim. He looked nervous, though, and his eyes were overflowing with so many emotions that I stopped for a second. He wasn't just nervous. He was scared. "I don't believe you," I said, though that wasn't entirely true.

"y/n, you have to believe me. They're going to die. Taeyong wants the diamond, and the others will stop at nothing to get it as well." Mark said, his voice getting louder by the minute as he looked frantically around the room. "How do you know about the diamond?" I asked. They hadn't seen the USB, I knew that. My words seemed to shock him, and he looked down for a moment. "Mark, how does NCT 127 know about the diamond?" He still didn't answer though, but the cold sensation as the barrel of my gun touched his forehead made him look up once again. "Goddamnit Mark, how do you know about the diamond?!" I whisper-yelled. "I told them!" he said, his hands immediately going to cover his mouth as he realized how loud he had been. "We began planning the heist before I left. Jaemin, Jeno, and I were in charge," he admitted, looking like a kicked puppy. My jaw dropped. "You," I said, "You were the one Jaemin talked about when he said that they had been left before." My hands shook, and Mark flinched, closing his eyes as I pressed the gun harder against his temple. "They trusted you," I sneered, making him flinch once again. "Where are they?" I asked.

Seconds later, Mark was lying ground, unconscious from the hit he had gotten as I smacked my gun against the side of his head. I had to get to the roof, I told myself, stepping out into the hallway only to come to a halt as I looked down onto the streak of light on the ground. Not too far away from the door, a pool of red was seeping out onto the floor. I held my hand against my mouth to stifle a scream as I saw the body of a security guard splayed out on the floor. "C-Chenle?" I said, bringing a shaky hand to my in-ear, "Something's wrong, Chenle. Can you hear me?" But there was no answer, and I felt myself panic even more when all I could hear was the static noise in the background.

"Something is definitely wrong, all right," A voice behind me said, making me jump at the sudden sound, lifting my gun once again as I faced the figure behind me. Through the mask, I could make out his white hair and undercut, but his features were hard to recognize. He didn't seem fazed by the fact that he had a gun aimed at him, though, and so I did the only logical thing at that moment; I ran.

Weaving through hallways and rooms in the palace, I skipped as many steps as possible as I made my way upwards until I finally found the door to the rooftop, barging through the metal door and out into the Italian Night. The scene in front of me was a horrible sight to see. Jaemin and Jeno were both on the ground. Jeno was unconscious, but Jaemin, the fool, kept getting up again, all the while two of Taeyong's minions took turns hitting and kicking him, the aforementioned standing a few feet away with a sickening smile on his face. I loaded my gun once again, raising it into the air and firing a warning shot. That got their attention, and for a second the three 127's seemed to forget Jaemin, giving the man a chance to regain his breath. He spat out a mouthful of blood, wiping his mouth as I made my way over to them. The door behind us opened once again, but I didn't have to look back to figure out that it had been Taeyong's backup. Jaemin caught my eye when I was only a couple of feet away from the peach-haired mafia leader, and a look of raw panic passed over his beaten-up features as he looked between Taeyong and me.

"Well, well, well, what do we have here?" he said, staring down at me with dark eyes, his hair looking wild and unruly as a breeze made its way to the rooftop, blowing the peachy locks out of his face. I shivered, but stood up straight nonetheless, "Fuck off, Taeyong," I spat, smirking at the clearly annoyed expression that crossed his face at the familiar insult. "You seem awfully unaware of who has the upper hand at the moment, my dear y/n," he continued, motioning to the men behind me. A couple of seconds later, four bodies were thrown to the ground beside me, hitting the hard surface of the rooftop mercilessly; Porthos and Aramis. We had lost, I thought for a moment, only to light up as I remembered the souvenir I had kept in my pocket; the identical copy of the diamond that he man in front of me was apparently willing to kill for. "How does it feel to have come all the way here, to Italy, at that, just to go home empty-handed?" Taeyong asked, a mocking tone in his voice as the corner of his lips crawled up into a smile. I couldn't be weak in front of him. Not now, I told myself, and so, I decided to play it off as best as I could.

"I don't know if I'll be going home empty-handed, though," I said, glancing out over the rooftop as I pretended to admire the beautiful view beyond the Medici Palace, "I got to sleep at a very expensive hotel, went on a date with a member of an Italian mafia, who was very handsome if I may say so myself, tasted lots of dishes I've never tried before, and even bought a souvenir for myself. I think it's been quite the trip, actually. And I needed a vacation."

Taeyong looked baffled at my words, his cool facade falling apart as he looked at me with a confused expression. "I'm sorry, vacation?" he asked, looking at his other members before turning back to stare at me, "y/n, you just robbed the palace of the richest Italian family in European history. You literally went on a diamond heist, and for what? A vacation?"

I shrugged, folding my arms across my chest as I looked at him with a bored expression, "The diamond wouldn't have been mine in the end anyway," I said, "All I needed was money to pay off my student loan. I just want to finish school, to be honest. Plus, it's been fun."

I twirled the gun around my finger for a moment, trying to control my erratic heartbeat before looking up at the mafia leader once again, "Tell you what, Taeyong. How about I just give you the diamond? I'm tired of all of the fighting, and I just want to go home. But in return, you have to let them live," I said, gesturing to the passed out Trinity Six members on the ground, avoiding Jaemin's eyes as I noticed the cold glare he was sending my way, "I need them to get home, after all." Jaemin tried to protest, making a move to get up from the ground, only to receive another kick to the stomach. I tried not to flinch at the sight.

I knew that it was a weak offer since, as Taeyong had just said, we didn't have the upper hand at the moment. But the smirk on the man's face told me otherwise, "My dear y/n," he began, his rough voice sending shivers down my spine, "You sure know how to strike a deal. Thanks to you, we don't have to go through all of the trouble of getting that precious little gem ourselves. How very generous of you."

I tried my best to return his smile as I reached out my hand to meet his. The handshake was too strong as well, uncomfortable even, and I couldn't help the feeling of raw fear at the thought of how he might realize that the diamond was fake before I had the chance to get Trinity Six to safety.

 The handshake was too strong as well, uncomfortable even, and I couldn't help the feeling of raw fear at the thought of how he might realize that the diamond was fake before I had the chance to get Trinity Six to safety

A/N:
If you enjoyed the story so far, please leave a vote on the little star in the corner. It would mean the world to me :)