Chapterish 18

NIGHT CAP

"Goodnight!" I shout at Trix and Travis, the last two left in the great room.

"Night babes!" Trix says.

Brooks leads me away by hand.

"Night kids." I hear Travis's muffled voice from the hallway.

Brooks pulls me into our cozy room. I'm glad I stopped drinking because I can already tell I'll have a hangover tomorrow. Brooks pulls off his shirt the second the door closes behind us. I can't help but laugh into his chest. I look down and see the glitter on my hands. I can almost taste the hairspray that's engulfing my body.

Damnit, Trix. Had to be '80s.

"We should shower."

"You read my mind," Brooks smirks.

"Separately," I insist. "I have to clean my hair for days."

"Tease," Brooks groans, dropping his hands from my waist.

"You love it," I quip.

Brooks rolls his eyes. "I'll go first."

"Thank you."

I spin on my heels and take in our room. It's like a battlefield, littered with the casualties of a 1980s piñata. I pick up the unworn neon colored tights and spandex crop top and shove them into my suitcase. I throw the legwarmers on top. My feet find Brooks's tracksuit hoodie and I toss it into his corner.

OK. Bedroom clean enough.

I unclip the side of my hair and try to comb through the hairspray and gel. Just as I start, I hear the shower turn off. Brooks comes into the room, towel around his waist.

"Quick enough?" He asks.

"Every girl's dream," I quip. I cross the floor and rest my hands on the hem of his towel. I plant tiny kisses along his collarbone. Maybe it's the buzz. Maybe it's the fact I'm losing the buzz. Maybe it's the towel. Fuck, do I want him.

"Em," Brooks groans above me.

"Jay," I answer, reaching up to kiss his neck.

"Shower."

Brooks moves out of my personal space and I find myself deflated. I'm not sure why I expect him to always be in the mood for me. Maybe because he was 10 minutes ago.

"Fine."

I undress in front of him, everything but my jewelry. He rolls his eyes at me, smirking from across the room. I leave the bathroom door open behind me so he can watch me shower.

I lose myself to the steam.

My whole shower I thought about the night. It was no roaring 20s party, but damn if there's not something about the glam of the 80s. The music, the movies, the almost tangible nostalgia. The actual tangible outfits. Kudos, Trix.

I brush out my hair and spray my coconut vanilla perfume. Still trying to mask the smell of rouge and glitter. I throw on an oversized sweater that just barely covers my black panties. The door is closed, no doubt Brooks shut it to curb his temptation. I push it open and see that Brooks is already dressed in gym shorts and a hoodie. Honestly, I'm surprised he put on clothes.

"Done," I announce myself, stepping into the room.

"An hour later," he teases.

"Record time, I thought," I joke.

The fire is already crackling in its crate. I pull the blankets onto the floor and sit with my back propped against the bed. Brooks sits down next to me, holding an old shoebox in his hands. He puts it on his lap and looks at me, smirking.