Chapter 19

"Skylar, darling, how is your project going?"

I stared blankly at Ms.Brown and pointed at the empty chair beside me, feeling bothered. Her beautiful brown eyes flashed with compassion and warmth.

"I am sure you guys will pull it off," she cheered me up kindly that I almost felt bad for breaking the unfortunate news to her.

"Don't be so sure," I frowned.

"Skylar, you of all people should know that I will not tolerate any disrespect in my class. If Noah doesn't treat you like a lady, I will have to talk to him."

"I don't know if you noticed Ms.Brown, but Noah doesn't bother to attend your classes. Talking to him might be an impossible task," I pointed out.

Ha, at least my sense of humor got better thanks to him.

"Keep up with the good work," she decided to completely ignore my last comment and mention my lack of creativity. But if drawing an apple counts as good work, I might start drawing random fruits more often.

Ms.Brown finally walked away, yet she did the unexpected.

She winked at me.

It was a knowing wink, almost like she knew that something is going on between Noah and me. I suddenly felt insecure for all reasons. First, maybe I am just dreaming, and Noah doesn't give a freak about me while my teacher is flirting with me. Second, if she can sense the tension between us, does it mean all students can?

God, I hope not.

Logan didn't waste a second after that knowing wink and was suddenly by my side without any warning.

"So, Skylar, a week has passed since our canceled date," he announced confidently. I didn't have the energy to correct him about the double date. And may I add that it was a very challenging week in which I avoided Noah's presence like I avoided alcohol and drugs.

However, Noah didn't make it a difficult task.

He didn't show up at my working place at exactly 10:30 on Friday(with a new annoying girl). Throughout this whole week, I only saw him yesterday playing video games in the living room. I refused to leave before he saw my sour expression towards him.

"What do you think, Skylar?"

Think about what exactly?

"Yeah, sure," was always a safe answer for me.

"Great, I will see you soon then," he wore a pleased smile while I wondered what I got myself into.

~~~~~~~~~

I walked back home in silence.

Home. Since when did Noah's place become a home for me?

Maybe since Jacob started to feel comfortable enough to sing in the shower. Or since I grew to feel what it's like to cook in the kitchen without being afraid of my father entering and screaming at me evilly.

Talking about evil, Noah completely ignored me when he saw me standing beside the door. The video games kept him up all night yesterday, and yet he refused to leave his usual place on the floor and do something with his life(like help me with our project).

I walked to my room furiously, eager to open a book and get my mind off unimportant things. Chills of excitement ran over my body when I set my eyes on the first word of page 17:

Patience.

Call me crazy, but I knew that the simple word printed on one of my favorite books, was a message from above.

Be patient.

Good things happen to those who wait.

~~~~~~~~~

My heart was about to explode from the feeling of joy and happiness.

I, Skylar Gray, finally bought myself a phone!

It took weeks of hard work and weird discussions, but let me tell you that it was worth it. I was proud of myself for once, and my wide smile refused to leave me throughout the whole day.

It was a Saturday night. And little did I know that when I bought the precious thing, I wouldn't be able to face the consequences.

Logan called me(don't try asking me how the guy knew my number) to remind me about the party I agreed to attend with him.

A freaking party.

I hated myself for thinking about one of my many problems with Noah when he chose to replace our canceled double date with a worthless social gathering. He wasted no time in telling me that he will pick me up in ten minutes.

Ten minutes full of sorrow and pain.

I couldn't believe my ears. Usually, I need at least ten hours of peace before I am forced to make awkward conversations, and watch people pass out from too much liquor.

Then, I couldn't believe my eyes either. I looked like a mess with my terrible braid and sleepy eyeballs.

Taking the matter into my own hands, I decided to wear ripped jeans with a black tank top. I left my hair down and used some dark red lipstick on my full lips. Jacob was supposed to have a sleepover with Daniel that night, and the long call with his mother managed to kill some of my brain cells.

It is a proven fact that speaking with horrible mothers causes some horrible headaches.

At the end of multiple unnecessary details, Daniel's mother agreed to pick him up, and even bring him back to me the following day.

How nice of her.

It took a lot of convincing, but at some point, Jacob gave up and leaned towards my cheek for a goodbye kiss.

I wish he knew how much love I hold for him and our little arguments.

~~~~~~~~~

"Are you going somewhere?" Noah rose from the darkness coming out of his room. As soon as his eyes met mine, he checked my appearance in confusion and interest. The guy hasn't talked to me in years, and now he is asking for information about a pretty sensitive topic.

"It's none of your business," I smiled, loving how I could use his own statements against him.

"Answer me, Sky," he demanded, his eyes flashing with new brightness against his dark green t-shirt.

Sadly, I can't put up a fight when it comes to my nickname.

"I am going to a party."

"My princess has a social life? Am I missing something?"

At that moment, I had to gather all of my self-power and not overthink the first two words that came out of his mouth.

"Ask your video games. Maybe they will provide you with an answer."

"I am offended," he wiped an imaginary tear from his right eye when I heard my cue to leave from the outside.

Surprisingly, Logan came to my rescue. Usually, he was the one I needed to be rescued from.

Before I had to chance to say goodbye and open the door to my freedom, Noah cut me off with another annoying question.

"Who is picking you up?" he asked curiously, expecting for the truth which I couldn't manage to speak out.

"I think you should make a list of all your questions. It will be easier for both of us, although it will take me days to ans-"

"Can't you just answer the god damn question?"

"Move out of my way, Noah. Logan is waiting for me," I tried to push Noah's muscular body aside without any success. Only when he grinned widely at me, I realized what I have done.

Did I just give out the name of my driver for tonight to the enemy?

Freak. 

"Wait right here. Lucky for you, the only car you will enter today is mine." 

~~~~~~~~~

Please vote and comment ❤️