Chapter 20

It was the day. After weeks of playing against other teams, the Titans were going to face off against the Cobras again. They were still undefeated and Rachel had no intentions of letting their winning streak end anytime soon. Aside from her typical competitive attitude, she also had a score to settle. Rachel was never a vengeful person, but what Jesse had done was more than just an attack upon her; it was also an attack upon Quinn. She wouldn't let him get away with that.

After a nice, hearty breakfast she was out the door where her girlfriend had just arrived to pick her up. Quinn got out of the car to greet her and gave Rachel a quick peck on the lips. "Hey," she murmured as she pulled back. "You ready for the game later tonight?"

"Jesse St. Jerkface isn't going to know what hit him. Actually, he will know. He'll know that it was me that knocked him flat on his butt." She earned a laugh out of Quinn, but then she let out a small groan and placed a hand on her stomach. "What is it? What's wrong?" Rachel asked worriedly. "Are you okay?"

"Yeah," Quinn assured. "It's just a bit of an upset stomach. Nothing to worry about, okay?" "Okay, but if you need anything-"

"I'll come find you," Quinn finished for her. "I will." She led Rachel to her car and drove them to school. Once there she walked Rachel to class and gave her another kiss before going to her own first period. It would be an easy going day. After talking with her teammates Rachel came to the conclusion that most, if not all, of the faculty had come to an agreement to not put any additional pressure on the football team during their classes for the day. None of them had any tests, assignments due, or anything else of the sort.

While a win wasn't vital from them to advance to the playoffs, beating the best team in the district a second time was a goal that all of McKinley was aiming for. Rachel didn't necessarily approve of such an action; she would have preferred to do some actually learning during school, but she appreciated the opportunity to relax. The lack of work also gave Rachel the chance to keep a close eye on her girlfriend.

Despite her insistence that it was just a bit of an upset stomach, Rachel worried about her. She knew that she had to focus on the game but Quinn's wellbeing was far more important to her. Quinn seemed fine. But once or twice, when she thought her girlfriend wasn't looking, Rachel saw her groaning and clutching her stomach. And later on towards the end of the day she had to go to the nurse. Once she had a chance, Rachel went to see her.

Upon seeing her girlfriend, Rachel rushed to her side. "Oh Quinn, are you okay?" She sat down on the bed that Quinn was lying down on and leaned in to give her a big hug. "What is it? What's wrong?" she asked worriedly.

"It's nothing Rach. Really, you don't-"

"Don't even think about telling me not to worry," Rachel interrupted. "I already am worrying. Now tell me what's wrong," she pleaded.

Quinn averted her eyes away out of shame. "I'm sorry," she apologized. "I was just trying to do something for you."

"By getting sick?"

"No. No, that's not it," Quinn answered, quickly shaking her head. "For the past few days I've been changing up my diet," she explained. "No meat. At first I felt fine, but today... well, I guess I don't have to explain about today."

"Oh, Quinn. You should have been more careful, taken things more slowly," Rachel chastised worriedly. She hugged her girlfriend again. "I know, I know. I guess I just got a little ahead of myself."

Rachel nodded her understanding as she brushed some of Quinn's hair and tucked it behind her ear. "I appreciate what you were trying to do. It was really sweet, but you don't have to change for me. You know that, right? I love you just the way you are."