Chapter 4

11 years ago

Breakfast, Ruby thought joyfully, was probably the best thing that's ever happened to her. For as long as the 4 year old could remember, and it wasn't too long ago, she hadn't had pancakes, especially strawberry ones, in forever. The eggs were cooked to perfection and the bacon...

It took every bit of her willpower to not cry again.

"Well, what's the verdict?" Evelyn asked, but already knew the answer.

"Imf awfumf!!" Realizing her mouth was full, she swallowed and said; "It's awesome!!" She cheered before she before burping a little.

"Scuse me." She blushed, embarrassed.

"Your excused." Evelyn giggled.

They sat there in silence before Ruby was excused from the table and went upstairs to her new room to get cleaned and dressed. A few mins later she came down in blue jeans and a simple red shirt with long sleeves and black horizontal stripes. Her hair was also cleaned and any dirt or mud in it was washed out.

"My, you look much prettier now that you're all clean Ruby!" Evelyn complimented.

"Th-thank you, miss..." She blushed.

"Why the formalities? Call me Evelyn from now on!" She insisted.

"Okay, Miss Evelyn!"

The older woman gave her a smile.

"Okay," she said, her tone slightly serious. "Now, are you ready to meet Regigigas?"

"More than anything!" She said, already going with her decision.

"Then let's go." She took hold of Ruby's hand, and they both walked out of the house.

Now outside, Ruby could see that she was in a village. A village with people and faunus, to be exact. Their traits were kind of different from most, more unique. There was a faunus woman with swan wings on her back that were large with white feathers. They could possibly wrap her up and envelope her within it's soft, feathery confines. She could see a family five of jackal faunus, all with furry ears and at least three of them have tails. She even saw a female, Caucasian fish-like faunus, with gills on both sides of her waist.

"That's Carol, a Bull Shark Faunus"

Ruby looked up to Evelyn, giving her a knowing look.

"I know she's intimidating at first glance, but she is a really nice person." She assured the four year old. "In fact, she's my wife."

"Your...wife?" She tilted her head.

Ruby was honestly confused. She may have been young, but even she knew that you can only have one mommy and one daddy. You can't have two of the same parents...can you?

"You can, but it's looked down upon by others. Especially when you're married to a Faunus."

Ruby jumped when she spoke. How did she know what she was thinking? Could she read minds?

"No, I can."

Ruby turns to see the owner of the voice, the shark faunus Carol. Up close, she was taller than Evelyn, at around 6'4. Her white hair was long, coming down to her back in a ponytail. She had a black tank top that exposed her midriff and gills. She wore blue jean shorts and combat boots on her feet. Ruby could see that she definitely had sharp teeth, but not sharp enough to immediately identify her as a shark.

"That's her Semblance: Soul Link. She can read minds and speak to people telepathically or empathetically." Evelyn explained.

"Huh?" Ruby tilted her head.