Chapter 9

8 years ago

It was a beautiful day outside. Birds were singing, flowers were blooming. On days like these, it was the perfect day for sparing.

A seven year old Ruby was currently sword training with Mew, who was using her tail as a weapon. Her tail was shiny as steel, and just as hard. Both duelists parried each other's blows at impressive speed. Despite Mew not having Ruby's speed, she was able to match it quite well.

Mew went for a horizontal swing with her Iron Tail, but Ruby managed to block it and push her tail aside. Ruby did a sword spin with her Semblance and became a small twister of roses as she headed straight for the Faunus. Mew backed up real quick and slammed her Iron Tail hard on the ground, causing an Earthquake. Ruby lost balance and fell to her butt as the tornado dispersed and saw her opponent coming for her. Ruby did a backflip from a hand stand and brought her sword up to use a diagonal Slash attack. Mew parried the attack with her tail and followed up with Wrap as her tail coiled around her sword and pulled it out of her grip, disarming her.

The sword landed behind Mew and the pink cat faunus decided to end this. Her tail glowed white and she swung it, sending a Sonic Boom straight for Ruby. Unable to properly defend herself, she brought her arms together and blocked the attack in vain. Ruby screamed as the Sonic Boom made contact with her forearms. She fell to her knees and held back a breath as she choked back a sob. 

"Ruby!!" Mew frantically floated over to the older girl. This was only practice, but that didn't mean they needed to hold back completely. 

"I'm so sorry!!" She apologized. "I didn't mean to go that far! I-I just got so into it that-"

"I-It's," Ruby sniffled, "It's okay, Mew."

She looked up to her with a forced smile as her misty silver eyes met Mew's blue ones. The attack left the seven year old's arms looking purple and began to bruise. That attack got her pretty good, and she wasn't going to lie that it hurt. She also wouldn't lie that she too got too into their practice.

"Let me fix you up!" Mew said as she began to look at Ruby's arms. She winced when Mew touched them and nearly pulled away from her, but she knew she was trying to help.

Mew began using Heal Pulse as her small, soft hands began to glow a white-pink energy. The energy began to travel through Ruby's arms and the pain immediately went away. Ruby looked her arms over and saw that the bruising was gone and the color returned to normal. She gave Mew a thankful expression and both girls got up.

Ruby had gone through a lot in the past 3 years. She was taller, that much was obvious, and her muscles had toned up, a positive effect of her training. Her hair was tied back in a small pony tail that came down to her shoulders, still carrying the trademark red tips at the end of it. She wore some training clothes that consisted of shoulder pads and knee pads over white sweat pants and a red tank top, with her new cloak that Evelyn sewed up for her.

All in all, she felt and looked strong and more spirited than she did before.

She looked over to Mew and her smile shrunk a bit. Mew didn't seem to have grown up in the past 3 years and that began to worry her. What worried her more was that she looked the exact same way she met her. She still appeared four years old.

"Mew, how come you didn't grow any?" Ruby asked.

Mew looked back to her, tilting her head in a cute way that made Ruby blush a bit. Ruby could be cute too, but when Mew did it, she could hardly call it a fair competition.

"I guess, because of my background?" Mew said with uncertainty.

"Your...background?"

"Yep! From what I know, my species were able to live a very long lifespan. So, maybe I just age slower and that's why I appear the same as I did three years ago."