Chapter 23

Dreamworld

Ruby sat beside her mother as she listened to her playing her Ocarina. In the Dreamworld, Ruby had her own Ocarina and was learning how to play the song she played: Oracion. Summer stopped playing as she turned to her daughter.

"Well, what do you think?"

"It's beautiful." Ruby said with awe. "Have you ever played that song before? You know, when you were..."

Ruby paused, frowning. Summer noticed so she decided to make it easier for her.

"Yes, I did." She answered. "Every night, I would play this song outside as I felt the brisk winds  blowing through the trees." She recollected fondly of the memories of when she was alive. "It was the only song that brought peace to Qrow."

"Uncle Qrow?"

Summer nodded.

"Back in Beacon, he was always on edge, weary of others because of his Semblance, Misfortune."

Ruby was aware of her Uncle's Semblance. It was why he didn't visit as often as he wanted. He was trying to protect them, her and Yang, from his bad luck. But even though he didn't visit often, she still loved him as her family. 

"He didn't want to hurt anyone and that was why he always stayed away from people, even his own team." She smiled as she looked at the Ocarina in her hand.

"One day, he heard me play Oracion and suddenly, he felt more comfortable with people. He became more confident in himself, opening to other people and made friends." Ruby saw her mother had sprouted a blush as she continued to talk about Qrow.

"Did...you and Qrow, you know?"

Summer looked down at Ruby with a short nod. Ruby let out a gasp, her hands to her mouth as she couldn't believe the revelation her mother just shared. Then again, she hadn't seen much of Uncle Qrow in over a decade and knew very little about him to begin with.

"We didn't get far enough." Summer said sadly. "I was wanting to go all the way and start a family with him. But in the end," she sighed deeply. "He was too scared, fearing that he'd hurt me and our future family."

Ruby blinked.

"So, had Uncle Qrow not broke up with you...?"

Summer smiled and nodded. "He would have been your father instead of Tai."

Ruby did a double take. Her mother certainly dropped one heck of a bombshell on her. But now thinking about it, it would have made sense to her. Ruby's hair was black, contrasting greatly with Taiyang's blonde hair. Qrow had dark hair so it would have made sense if she was her dad. But he wasn't. Summer made it perfectly clear-

"But he didn't break up with me...yet."

Ruby halted in her thought process.

'Wait, what?'

Hospital

Blake and Carol were still outside Ruby's room in the hospital, as Blake finished her retelling of how she and Rhyder met.

"After our argument, we just bought each other's drinks and split up right after."

Carol remained silent as she took in what Blake told her. After a few moments, Carol spoke.

"Did he say where he was going?"

"Not really," she said. "But he did mention something about going to Mistral. I don't know if he'll still be there, but that's all I know."

Carol wasn't too pleased with her response, but it did give her some peace of mind that Rhyder was still alive. The damn idiot was nearly indestructible and could bend a Grimm in any angle with his bare hands alone. She remembered the time he bashed heads against a Bourbatusk Alpha.