- XXXVIII -

(A/N: Hello everyone! Sorry it's been so long since there has been an update! I've been finishing up with school, as well as facing some writers block for this story. Ultimately, I decided just to jump to the night before the trial and start from there, simply because I could not come up with a good transition, and the details of their trip back to England were horribly boring and I personally would not want to read it. That being said, I would like to remind everyone that this is a story, and I have close to no idea what happens during a court case, especially dealing with a custody battle. So please keep that in mind if you decide you want to critique my writing- this is a fanfiction and it's definitely not going to be realistic 24/7. However, if you can stick with me through that, I'm excited about what the next few chapters have in store! Thank you for reading, and I hope you're still enjoying! Stay safe and healthy everyone!)

(SLIGHT TW ON THIS CHAPTER: some suicidal/self harm ideation. Please be aware and take care of yourselves!)
*

Two Weeks Later-- the Night Before the Trial

"Harry? Can I come in?" Bucky knocked at the hotel's bathroom door, leaning against the door frame.

There was a sniffle on the other side, before Bucky heard the click of the lock being undone on the other side.

Slowly, Bucky pushed the handle down and opened the door before slipping inside and shutting the door behind him again.

"Harry," Bucky breathed sadly, seeing Harry curled in a ball, leaning against the porcelain bathtub. "Buddy, what's going on?"

Harry looked up at Bucky, eyes red and watery. His face was blotchy- a clear indicator that he had been crying.

"Bucky," Harry choked, leaning towards the winter soldier. Bucky knelt down and positioned himself so that he could embrace the crying teen.

"Shh, I've got you. What's the matter?" Bucky frowned, running his hand through Harry's unruly hair. Tony and Pepper were both in a meeting with their lawyer, and Steve was down in the gym getting in a quick workout. Bruce had met up with Clint and Natasha, which left Bucky alone in the hotel room with Harry.

Ten minutes ago, Harry had excused himself from where he and Bucky were watching a movie, and disappeared into the bathroom. Bucky had waited, but after several minutes had passed, he could hear crying from the bathroom and had become worried.

Now, sitting on the cool tile in the hotel bathroom, holding a crying Harry close to his chest, Bucky realized once more how bad Harry had had it as a child.

"I almost did it," Harry's hoarse voice snapped Bucky out of his thoughts.

"Did what, bud?" Bucky began rocking the two of them back and forth as Harry's breathing picked up.

"I really wanted to," Harry shook his head, burying his face into Bucky's chest. "There's a razor on the counter. I almost did it."

Bucky's breath caught as he realized what Harry was talking about. He suddenly became aware of Harry's rolled up sleeves, the exposed scabs and old scars visible.

"Oh Harry," Bucky clutched the teen in his arms tighter. "But you didn't. You didn't do it, because you stopped yourself."

"I was so close. I was going to," Harry sobbed, pulling away from Bucky and looking at him through tears.

"Bucky," he whispered, voice barely audible as he looked down in shame. "I feel like I need to."

Bucky grabbed Harry's hands in his own, and held them up to his face. It was the only way he knew he could get Harry to make eye contact.