B is for Blood

"Hailey, Hailey where are you?"

Jay's voice echoed as he shouted through the smoke and debris for his partner. It was supposed to be simple: go to the house, arrest the suspect. Except no one had anticipacted that there would be a bomb lying in wait for their arrival.

He fanned the thick cloud off smoke away from his face as the scanned the wasteland for any signs of Hailey.

"She had been right next to him, she couldn't have gone far"

That's we he told himself as he stumbled through the parts of wreckage. His body protested as he walked further: aching from exhaustion although he didn't stop. He couldn't. He needed to find Hailey, that was his main concern and to him nothing else mattered.

"Jay...?"

He froze as he heard the voice, head frantically surveying the area for the source of the noise. He heard a crash as rubble toppled and he immediately turned to the towards the house, hearing yet more rubble tumble.

A figure appeared from behind a tower of broken wall and floor, who Jay instantly recoginsed as his partner.

Her clothes were torn in places and covered in soot; his were too- not that he noticed. He scanned her body and sighed in relief when he saw no visible injuries so she must be alright, that's what he thought but then again he knew how stubborn she could be and how she wouldn't reveal any pain, not like he would either.

He hoped for the former as he didn't want to think of the possibilities which resulted in her not being alright and things leading to a much worse situation.

He pushed his thoughts aside as he approached her, meeting in the centre of where there paths met. She coughed as she walked over from the smoke she inhaled whilst closer to the building.

"Jay" She spoke again, this time her voice less hoarse and panicked, "You okay?"

"Yeah, I'm fine Hails. What about you?" He smiled whilst he spoke, feeling like a weight had been lifting off his shoulders knowing she was alive and stood with him.

"I'm good, I'm good" They sought comfort in each others presence, both glad to be with their partner.

The adrenaline from the event was beginning to diminish as their breathing patterns even out and they began to relax although the serenity couldn't last long as Jay broke the silence with a gasp and his stammered speech.

"Hails... you're, you're bleeding" He said eyes widened with shock as he saw the dark red stain appearing through her t-shirt.

She looked down to where his gaze was pointed towards confused until her eyes too met the growing red stain. She froze in shock, the adrenaline left still preventing her from feeling the pain.

He promptly started to act upon his discovery, him and Hailey both still in a state of shock. He found a sturdy piece of rubble unlikely to collapse with the pressure and carefully sat her down on it before taking a deep breath to calm his nerves and shaking hands before lifting up the fabric.

Along her abdomen was a long red streak presumably cut by either a rogue metal edge or a jagged debris corner. He gulped as he looked at it, feeling his partner worried eyes focused on him.

He swiftly took of his Jacket and placed it upon her wound, she winced as he pressed against the wound. Pain evident on her face despite how desperately she tried to hide it.

"How, how bad is it?" She asked, worried for the answer. She had been unable to see the wound earlier, not like she would of eagerly chose to see it given the choice to. She had seen the fear in his eyes as he lifted her t-shirt although she didn't know if it was over the shock or the severity.

He thought carefully before answering and decided not to lie to her as she too was a detective and would see through his lies.

"I honestly don't know, but it's bleeding a lot"

The jacket had already began to be soaked with blood, his partner's blood. He's usually ok with blood but it being his partner blood, it took him all his strength not to vomit at the sight.

Hailey nodded, unsure what to say. Jay picked on her apprehension and moved to a position where he could hold both Hailey and the jacket.

"It's going to be okay Hails, no matter what" He smiled reassuringly as he pulled her closer into his embrace.